Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand


Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
Release Date –  January 17, 2012
Publisher Website –  Harper Collins
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter/Facebook/SavvyReader
Pages - 403 pages
My Rating- 4/5
**obtained from the library**

****SPOILERS FOR UNEARTHLY****

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. 
Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.
Clara’s life was turned upside down when she was told that she is part angel, and that she has a purpose that she must fulfill. Clara's life changing journey in Unearthly brought her romance, and lots of questions. I was eager to continue her story in Hallowed.

The writing in Hallowed is just as wonderful as in Unearthly. Cynthia Hand is capable of making you feel all the emotions her characters are feeling. This novel's last half is especially emotional.
Christian, the sweet, steadfast part-angel who is there for Clara, proves in this novel why I am so very Team Christian. He gets what Clara is going through, he is there for her in a way that Tucker can’t be. They can relate to each other and lean on each other to help them through this confusing new reality that have to live with. He is patient, and wants nothing from Clara, except for her to let him in. It’s rather sweet. Tucker is still his amazing self, and I am heartbroken for him. He loves Clara, even if he can’t fully understand her and what changes she's going through.

Learning more about the angels and specifically the White Wings and Black Wings left me eager to learn even more. As we learn more, we learn of heartbreaking and devastating news that will change Clara’s life forever. Someone she loves will be leaving her even as someone else comes back into her life. The loss was sad and left me crying with Clara even as she is supported by loved ones. It shows a maturity in Clara and yet how vulnerable she really is. Clara never feels like an adult playing a teenager which can sometimes happen in YA novels. She feels like a teenager who has had a lot of things happen to her and is trying to figure it out. She is resilient, and strong, but still just a teenager who needs her mother. I love that Cynthia can make her all of this, while staying true to the character.

Clara’s brother Jeffrey continues to draw my attention. He has secrets of his own that when revealed explain a lot of his actions. Clara’s actions in Unearthly had consequences for more than just herself and that was something she didn’t consider before. Now more than ever, the question of your purpose and what not fulfilling it means is something that they have to discover. 

Hallowed will play with your emotions and have you all over the place. You’ll be swooning, laughing, crying, and sometimes all of them at once. When I closed the novel after reading the last page I felt like I had been on a journey with friends, and I look forward to joining Clara again.

3 comments:

  1. I keep telling myself I'm going to buy this book but I never do. I really enjoyed Unearthly but I guess I'm just a little scared it won't measure it. But your review is putting those fears to rest. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish to take your paragraph about Christian and Tucker, wrap it in a blankey and snuggle up next to it *sniffles* TUCKERRRR. I love him, I still do and like you, my heart breaks for him. But Christian... oh, Christian. He totally won me over. Both as a guy I adore AND one I want for Clara <3 Don't hate me, Tuck :(

    Totally agree your thoughts on Clara.Cynthia really excelled at bringing across the strengths and stuggles while still making her feel like a teen.

    Love your review, Kathy!! You have me excited all over again for the third book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Looks like a great book. I'll be sure to check it out
    New follower from the Blog Hop
    -Buffi
    My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...