Thursday, September 13, 2012

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang


What’s Left of Me by Kat Zhang
Release Date – September 18, 2012
Publisher Website –  Harper Collins
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter/Facebook/SavvyReader
Pages -   356 pages
My Rating- 3.5/5
**obtained from publisher via BEA for an honest review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis

What's Left of Me tells the story of a fifteen-year-old girl fighting for her right to survive in a world where two souls are born into each body and one is doomed to disappear. Pitched as The Golden Compass meets Girl, Interrupted.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t…

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable–hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet…for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.

I fought between a 3.5 and a four star rating for this novel. Even now I am still torn between them. There is so much I loved about this novel of two sisters, and yet there are things I felt were missing as well.

Kat Zhang’s writing talent is clearly evident. She keeps what could be a complicated narration smooth and easy to follow. The voices of both Addie and Eva are easily distinguishable. The writing style also allows the story to flow smoothly and keeps a steady pace. Her characterization is the highlight of the novel. They’re vivid, full actualized, and interesting.

Both Addie and Eva are achingly real and full of life. As a reader I couldn’t fathom one of them not being part of this story. They each want to experience life and the little pleasures it has to offer. Their story explores what it means to be alive, what it means to be human and what a precious gift life is.  These two characters are what makes What’s Left of Me shine, and Kat Zhang has developed two amazing characters.

The sisterly bond between them is believable and honest. Sibling rivalry is hard enough on it’s on, now picture it while sharing one body and feeling each other’s emotions. Pretty much torture if you ask me. The moments where Ava and Addie are interacting with nobody else around leap off the page. Each struggles with their love for the other, and is torn by wanting dominance over the body they share.

The romance is almost an after thought in the novel, but it does bring up some thought provoking issues. It relates back to the struggle Eva and Addie experience as two individuals forced to share one body. Each of them may want different things out of life, and love, yet each is reluctant to let the other go.

The stakes in the world Addie and Eva inhabit are strongly felt. There is tension felt throughout the book. The main characters never feel safe, which is not common in stories like this. The fact that there is a way to continue on the story if Eva or Addie were to cease to exist made it feel much more dangerous.

A striking, beautifully written novel that has a unique and fascinating storyline. I As developed as the characters and world are, I found myself wanting more background. There is hints at things to come, and I fully believe the second novel will be better than the first. It’s a series that benefits from having the ground work laid out so that the story can take over. I wanted to know more about the hybrids and why they are viewed as such a threat. My curiosity is piqued by the world outside the Americas that Addie and Eva live in. This is where I believe Kat Zhang is leading us, and I am excited to follow.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Kathy! What a great review! The best one I've seen around for this book!!! You made me want to get this book and start reading ASAP! Thank you for shaing your thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I really like the idea of two souls stuck in the same body, and the struggle of trying to share the body. I'll have to add this to the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what amazes me the most about this book? The author is like... my age. She's in her 4th year of college or something crazy like that... I'm just blown away! Can't wait to read this one!

    Anna
    Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I am so excited for this book! It's sad to hear that there isn't a lot of background, but I truly believe that it will be covered in future books. Beautiful review, you make me want to be the first one in line on release day to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so much about this book, from raving reviews to slightly torn, and I can definitely see why. I do feel like just picking this one up because of Zhang's beautiful prose, which I keep hearing endless praise about from EVERYONE, so I might read it anyway, despite your few qualms. Anyway, wonderful review! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book has such a beautiful cover, it's been on my radar for a while. I'm glad to hear the contents are good too. I'm pretty excited to read about Addie and Eva, as well as read some good writing. Great review btw- it was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really, really want to read this. I've heard nothing but amazing things about the development of characters and fascinating relationship between Addie and Eva. I'm not sure I've ever read anything like it! Though it was missing that something to bump it to a 4 star, your beautiful review still has me INSANELY excited to read this. I think I'm really going to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds really interesting. I have never read anything that sounds like it. I have been seeing some mixed reviews but I definitely think I need to give this one a shot. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...