Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Reboot by Amy Tintera



Reboot by Amy Tintera
Release Date – May 7, 2013
Publisher Website -  Harper Collins
Publisher Social Media - Twitter/Facebook/SavvyReader
Pages -  352 pages
My Rating- 4/5
**obtained for review from publisher**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.
A novel that is as dark as it is beautiful. A look at what makes us human, and the emotional connections we make with others.

This novel surprised me because I wasn't expecting what I got upon stumbling into it's pages. The emotions I felt, and the journey the main character goes on are only hinted at in the synopsis. Those looking for non stop action may be slightly disappointed to find that this novel is way more than that. Those looking for more depth from their action-y stories will, however, find much to love.

Wren's the perfect Reboot. Distant, cold, and void of emotions...or so she'd like you think. Underneath her hardened mask emotions simmer waiting to come to the surface. Enter Callum. A practically human reboot who was dead for a mere 22 minutes. He brings things out in Wren that she thought didn't exsist. There is a lovely parallell to someone going through something very traumatic, and shutting down, only to have someone help them find their way back. Callum is someone who feels everything. He is the most human, and humane Reboot out of the group. His easy smiles, his heart, and tenderness ignite something in Wren.

The romance is sweet. It's not rushed, or too much. There are no declarations of undying love. It's simply a boy who meets a girl, and they both eventually can't deny their feelings for each other. Tentative, and slow to start, you get to see it grow as they face things together. It's one of the few relationships I've read that grow as the characters learn to trust each other.

The other major theme in the novel is prejudice, and a form of racism. Naturally people are scared of Reboots. Being scared of what you don't understand is nothing new. Human beings have always been quick to fear and judge. I found myself angry because, to me, they seem so human. They are not just machines or a number in some army of robots. However, Amy Tintera also manages to make you reflect on the other side of it as well. It's scary to see your loved one walking around when you know they died. It would be unimaginable. She balances this perfectly and there is an incredibly heartbreaking scene with Callum and his family that tore my heart to bits.

With a few fun twists, some dark and horrific experiments, and this novel flew by. The pacing is gripping, as is it's writing. It's easy to see how a little spark of feeling can cascade into a rebellion and I am eagerly anticipating what comes next in Wren's story.

A darkly dangerous world where emotions are the last thing you want to show and embracing those beautiful moments that make us human. A debut novel that surprised me with how deeply I fell into it's pages. It's one I would say is not to be missed.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like I need to check it out. :)
    Thanks for posting.
    ~Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited for this book, everything about it sounds interesting. I like to hear that the romance is slow and you see them learn about each other over time. This book has been on my radar for awhile, and hopefully I pick it up soon, sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...