Wednesday, November 10, 2021

#PopCultureResolution - Halloween (2018)


Halloween (2018)

Director: David Gordon Green 

Length: 136 minutes

Cast: Jamie Lee Curtis, Judy Greer, Andi Matichak

Release Date: October 19, 2018

Synopsis: It's been 40 years since Laurie Strode survived a vicious attack from crazed killer Michael Myers on Halloween night. Locked up in an institution, Myers manages to escape when his bus transfer goes horribly wrong. Laurie now faces a terrifying showdown when the masked madman returns to Haddonfield, Ill. -- but this time, she's ready for him.

***********************************************

October's #PopCultureResolution, obviously, called for me to watch the 2018 continuation of the Halloween franchise. This is a sequel to the original Halloween only and it ignores all of the other sequels that are part of that franchise.


The beginning was, for me, stronger than the back half. I was very intrigued by the two podcasters that we meet and our reintroduction to Michael Meyers.

You cannot talk about the Halloween franchise without talking about Jamie Lee Curtis. A true Scream Queen and legend. It was fantastic to see her come back to this role and be such a badass. She is a large part of what made this movie for me along with the dynamic with her family.

The three generations of Strode women and the generational trauma each of them has to deal with was by far the most interesting part of the movie. I couldn't help but think of Halloween H2O and Laurie Strode's son (played by Josh Hartnett) that does not exist in this reiteration. This is not the first Halloween movie to dive into Laurie's trauma and its impact on her children. This one does better job in that the entire movie is steeped in it, but it is not the first as some have claimed.

These movies are meant to be a fun scare around Halloween. I did not enjoy it as much as the first Halloween and was not as scared as I anticipated being. It is worth the watch if you are a major fan of the franchise because it does respect the mythology while adding to it. I am not sure those not invested in the franchise will get as much out of their watching experience but they will appreciate its short running time and getting to see Jamie Lee Curtis return to one of her most iconic roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...