Friday, January 20, 2023

2023 Movies I Can't Wait To See

 

A new year means getting excited about all the possibilities that the new year can bring. These, for me, include the possibility that every upcoming book, movie, or television could be amazing. It is the potential that leaves me excited. With this in mind I decided to create a list of movies that I am most looking forward to seeing this year. These movies do not have trailers and some only have the vaguiest of synopsis but something about them has intrigued me.

These are in no particular order and release dates/year are subject to change.

1. Saltburn

This is the second full length feature from director Emerald Fennell. She made my 'will watch anything from this director' list with Promising Young Woman and I cannot wait to see what she does with Saltburn. Not much is known about the plot except that it focuses on a rich family and is about obsession. It has Roseamund Pike and Barry Keoghan in the cast which only increases my excitement. 

2. Challengers 

Luca Guadagnino directs it and I will automatically watch it. I have really enjoyed his last few movies and this one sounds equally great. It stars Zendaya, Mike Faist, and Josh O' Conner is a story about two tennis players, a rivalry, and what sounds like a bit of a love triangle.

3. May December

This stars Julianne Moore, Natalie Portman, and Carles Melton. It focuses on a married couple whose relationship was tabloid fodder as she was his teacher when they got together. An actress comes into their lives to do research for a film about them. This intrusion coincides with the husband grappling with being an empty nester in his late 30s as their children graduate high-school and begin to get ready for college. It sounds like this will cause him to reexamine  the relationship and the events of his youth.

4. Fair Play

This has been called an erotic/corporate thriller that revolves around a woman's promotion at her company sends her partner on a downward spiral that threatens to unravel their engagement. It stars Pheobe Dynevor and Alden Ehrenreich. I miss erotic thrillers so I am excited to see if this will mean a comeback.

5. Nosferatu

Bill Skarsgard is starring in this remake of the classic vampire tale. It is all about obsession and horror and I cannot wait.

6. Oppenheimer 

Cillian Murphy and Christopher Nolan teaming up again was reason enough to see it but Cillian Murphy getting the spotlight was an even bigger reason. This is the story  of J. Robert Oppenheimer and the creation of the atomic bomb.

7. Renefield

This is a Dracula story told from the perspective of his familiar/servant. I was sold on it thanks to the fantastic trailer and that the cast includes Nicholas Hoult and Nicholas Cage. It looks both hilarious and scary.

8. Flowers of the Killer Moon

This is based on real events and a bestselling book. This true crime story is set in the 1920s and tells the story of the murder of some Osage tribe members. The cast includes Leonardo DiCaprio and Jesse Plemmons and should be in consideration come Oscar time.

9. Barbie

This is perhaps the movie I am most curious about. We do not have any real plot details but the fact that Greta Gerwig is involved is enough to get me excited and Margot Robbie looks amazing as Barbie.

I am going to leave it as 9 picks. I am sure there will be many more that I add throughout the year. 

What movies are you looking forward to in 2023? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...