Wednesday, December 14, 2016

2017 Most Anticipated - The Names They Gave Us




Every single time that a new Emery Lord novel is announced. I get giddy. We're talking ridiculous dancing around the house levels of giddy.


I flail and immediately want to know all that I can about the book, and the characters within it. An Emery Lord novel will leave you with feelings overload and I am so excited to see what she has in store for us from a book she calls 'feelings camp'.


The Goodreads synopsis is already bringing the feelings so I am sure the book is going to leave everyone an emotional mess.
Lucy Hansson was ready for a perfect summer with her boyfriend, working at her childhood Bible camp on the lake. But when her mom’s cancer reappears, Lucy falters—in faith, in love, and in her ability to cope. When her boyfriend “pauses” their relationship and her summer job switches to a different camp—one for troubled kids—Lucy isn’t sure how much more she can handle. Attempting to accept a new normal, Lucy slowly regains footing among her vibrant, diverse coworkers, Sundays with her mom, and a crush on a fellow counselor. But when long-hidden family secrets emerge, can Lucy set aside her problems and discover what grace really means? 
Emery was kind enough to take some time and answer a few questions about this book and, if possible, I am now even more excited to read it.

1 Describe The Names They Gave Us using emojis.



2 If someone were to make a signature drink in honour of your book, what might be included?

This is tricky! There's a lot of tea in this book. And a lot of cheap liquor consumed by teenagers around a bonfire!

3  This novel seems to deal with labels, and the names we give ourselves and others. What inspired you to a write a novel dealing with this particular subject? 

Well, I think a lot about nomenclature- the names we give people, the names that feel right to us, and why. I've always been preoccupied with it, but writing brings it out since you're naming characters (and books and sometimes towns and, and...).

4 Your novels always have flawed, imperfect characters at their heart. I love that you make these characters unapologetic about these imperfections. Why do you, personally, feel this is important to include in your writing? 

The simple answer is that I write realism, and my goal is always going to be to write deeply human characters. But beyond that, I dislike the idea that we should only like or relate to or choose people who make the same choices we'd make. It's an exercise in empathy for me to stretch and give my characters flaws I don't relate to. After spending a year/80,000 words in a characters' head, I understand actual humans- who are different than I am- better than I did when I first sat down to write.

5 If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel? 

It is still Frell, imaginary nation ruled by Char and Ella.

6 What 2017 release are you most anticipating? 

WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI and also SAINTS, MISFITS, MONSTERS & MAYHEM!

7 If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of The Names They Gave Us. 

The first prom crisis is manageable.

Bonus question - This novel has been described, by you, as going to feelings camp. How many tissues do you think the reader should have on hand before starting your book? 

Haha! I don't know. I cried a lot writing it. But that is because I had to confront and work through some difficult things. And if it helps readers confront/work through those difficult things, then perhaps...a few tissues. At least one. 


Dance party in honour of a new Emery Lord book coming out in 2017! I cannot wait to read this while drinking a delicious glass of wine and am even looking forward to the aforementioned tears.

The Names They Gave us releases May 16, 2017 and is available for pre-order from your favourite retailer right now, and I highly recommend doing so.


You can also follow Emery on Twitter, visit her website, and the publisher website for all the details about The Names They Gave Us.

Emery also writes two AMAZING newsletters. The Em Dash is one. It is like having a drink with a friend who is filling you in on all this amazing stuff you need to know about. It's focuses on a little bit of everything but is always an inspiring read. The other newsletter, The Paris Geller School For Girls, is just bad ass and equally inspiring. The links let you sign up for either and I highly recommend both.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to find out the last book that made this year's list!

1 comment:

  1. Well, the cover is certainly gorgeous, so right there, I'm interested. I'll have to check out Lord's newsletters since you love them so much!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...