Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween Recommendations


Happy Halloween! If you're anything like me you might be debating what to do tonight. Halloween is on a weekday this year so most parties or events happened on the weekend. You might be looking forward to a nice evening in watching a scary movie, or reading a scary book between passing out candy to the trick-or-treaters that come to your door.


I am offering up a few of my personal recommendations for last minute Halloween entertainment.

If You're In The Mood For Something Not At All Scary I Recommend .... 

It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown


It's a classic and perfect family viewing fun! It captures the spirit of Halloween without being scary.

Casper



I am specifically talking about the 1995 version that stars Christina Ricci. It's sweet, surprisingly romantic, and has plenty of humour.

If You're Looking For Something More Scary I Recommend .... 

Practical Magic

A story of magic, sisterly bonds, and offers up the best use of the song 'This Kiss' in a movie ever. It's perfect for those wanting something a little bit darker but not really scary.

Scream



My favourite scary movie. It's fun, scary, and is basically a love letter to the genre. It is one I make sure to watch every October because I love it that much.

The Craft

While may not scary in the traditional sense, this is a darker option for those wanting something with witches this Halloween. It's delightfully campy and is one of my favourite witch movies.

Stranger Things

This Netflix series is family friend, but with a darker vibe (maybe older children). It's filled with characters you'll fall in love with, 80s nostalgia, and is entirely charming. If you haven't watched this I highly recommend it.

There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins (goodreads)


Scream in book format is how I pretty much describe this one. It's both fun and unsettling. It's a great one to pick up if you're looking for something with the same vibe as Scream but with Stephanie's addictive writing.

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga (goodreads)


A boy worries that he'll end up being exactly like his serial killer father in this creepy, and entirely addictive read. It's a three book series which means you'll have something to look forward to during the dreary month of November if you start this series on Halloween.

If You (like me) Are More Scared By Real Events Than Anything Hollywood Could Come Up With I I Recommend .....

Mindhunter

This Netflix show focuses on the start of what we now call criminal profiling. Two detectives begin to interview jailed serial killers when they realized the information from these interviews could provide scientific merit. It's a great character study of both the detectives and the serial killers. It's also a book (for those who would rather read)

My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf (goodreads)


This is a fast read that focuses on Jeffrey Dahmer as a middle school/ high school student told through the perspective of someone who was friendly with Jeffrey during this time. It's graphic novel format would also be perfect for constant interruptions (to answer the door).

Those are my picks for your Halloween entertainment this evening. What are some of yours? Let me know in the comments as I am always excited to find more spooky books, movies, and television shows to add to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...