Monday, January 2, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith


The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date –  January 2, 2012
Publisher Website –  Hachette Group Canada/Poppy
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages -  236 pages
My Rating- 8/10
**Obtained from publisher for an honest review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.
Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
Ever think that one small action, like say a missed flight, could change everything? That’s exactly what happens in this cute, smile inducing read.

This novel will really appeal to fans of contemporary novels. The writing is well paced, keeps your interest, and has you smiling one minute, and wanting to hug Hadley the next. The author manages to make the most ordinary thing, riding an airplane, interesting, romantic, and very sweet.

The characters of Hadley, and Oliver are both very likable. Hadley is this young women in pain. She’s angry at her parents for the way their relationship worked out (especially her father), she has panic attacks and would pretty rather be anywhere than in a small enclosed space. Oliver is charming, British (we all know of my attraction to British guys) and so supportive of Hadley even though they just met. He has his own flaws and issues going on, and both of them are more complex than you are expecting.

The connection between Hadley and Oliver isn’t some instant “going to love you forever” thing. It’s an instant bond though, a feeling that this person could be special to you. A feeling like you don’t want to let this one get away. I like how they get to know each other while travelling across the ocean and built a foundation in such a short time.

Hadley’s reluctance to go to her father’s wedding, and anger at her father for walking out of her life is understandable In fact, I was surprised she was not more angry at him than she was.  It’s a situation that is pretty relatable. I was angry at her father! Oliver’s story for travelling to England is a bit of a mystery and provides some moments of clarity for Hadley when we do find out.

Hadley and Oliver’s first kiss....Can I just say swoon? He grabs her as they are separating at customs in Heathrow airport and kisses her. A kiss that makes the rest of the world disappear. Totally a swoon worthy moment and it even causes the airport worker to mutter “It’s not like lines lead to separate countries” (arc pg 104).

This novel will have you believing in the magic of an instant connection, and leave you wondering about the impact of tiniest thing on the rest of your life.

4 comments:

  1. I am sooooo dying for this book!!! I've been swooning over it for the last like 8 months!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was just so much fun. And it wasn't too fluffy or cute. It wasn't all easy. Great review, Kathy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds soooooooo good! I'm hoping my library will get it in soon, I definitely want to check it out! :) You're review got me super excited as well. lol! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heeheee <3 I SO adored this book! All the interactions between Hadley and Oliver had me swooning. He is so bloody charming! Sigh. I loved what Jennifer done with this story. And I love your review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...