Monday, February 25, 2013

Boundless by Cynthia Hand

Boundless by Cynthia Hand
Release Date – January 22, 2013
Publisher Website - Harper Collins
Publisher Social Media - Twitter/Facebook/SavvyReader
Pages - 438 pages
My Rating- 3.5/5
**borrowed from fellow blogger**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.
Whenever a series ends there is always a bit of hesitation before picking up the final book, at least for me. I am always worried I will end up being disappointed with how it all ends. They are emotional, often draining because you are saying goodbye to a story and characters you've become attached to. Boundless had the very polarizing effect of being both an engaging story while at the same time being everything I hoped it wouldn't be.

This final installment ties in with the previous novels in such a way that everything comes together. Clara, Christian, and Angela’s true purposes come about in a well paced, and executed plot. The story mixed action, romance, and reveals to close out the series showcasing everything that was loved in the previous chapters of this story.

The love triangle is brought to the forefront as Clara has to decide her future. I can appreciate each guy has qualities that make them a solid choice for Clara. Both Tucker and Christian do care for Clara, and she is able to be open and honest with both of them for the most part. Each guy fulfills a different aspect of what she is looking for. I feel Christian fits into her world in a way that Tucker never can, and therefore have been on Team Christian. My favourite part of this triangle is that each guy is given equal time. It is not obvious whom she'll end up with, or what coarse her life will take. It's a true triangle in every sense, and not just there to draw out the plot.

Clara has always been a unique character to me, especially in this genre. She has angelic powers, and the author could be forgiven for making her an immediate force to be reckoned with. Instead, we get an endearing, unsure, but brave young woman. This makes Clara herself more relatable, and her story resonate that much deeper. Clara is trying to find her purpose in life, and struggles with normal teenage fears. It feels less like an angel story and more like a very human journey. It’s her that is the heart of the story, and whom we become invested in as a character.

The ending unraveled in a quite unexpected way. I wanted something very different from the final pages. The ending was, for me, heartbreaking. I will not spoil it, but it did selfishly impact my enjoyment of the overall book.

A fitting wrap up to this trilogy. It is a testament that I was hoping for something completely different, and yet still felt satisfied with the story upon reading the last page. This series will appeal to you if you’re looking for a series that perfectly blends supernatural with very real characters.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about ending a series and like you there were things I loved and things I didn't like about this ending. The love triangle was definitely one of my favorites and while I was on Team Tucker, Boundless really showed how awesome Christian was. Like you said, it wasn't just there for the heck of it. Also, Clara was so awesome. She was such a real character that I just couldn't help loving her.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of he best angel books around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just read the first two books in this series and now I'm waiting for this book from the library. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...