Monday, January 30, 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton


Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Release Date – January 24, 2012
Publisher Website – HarperCollins
Publisher Social Media - Twitter/Facebook/SavvyReader
Pages - 370 pages
My Rating- 8/10
**Obtained from the fantastic Christy**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...
I love Greek mythology. I especially love the tale of Hades and Persephone. This twist on that tale is well written, and intriguing. The mythology built in this novel may be based on old tales, but Brodi Ashton puts her own unique twist on it, and it’s captivating.

I loved that Brodi Ashton wasted no time jumping into the story. There was no build up to when the story started and it really worked in this case. I was fully immersed in the story right from the first few pages. I felt without the build up Brodi was able to focus on the plot and just get into the heart of the story.

Nikki is not just going to sit there and go quietly back to the Everneath when her 6 months is up. She fights, and actually does something about it. She could complain and just be miserable, but she fights. It was great to see. Nikki is actually a pretty great character. My only complaint is that she never took the time to ask or listen to others. She sees something, or hears something and jumps to conclusions and acts on the information. I get that she was hurting, but a lot of the issues she is currently facing are because she acted rashly.

Jack…sigh. Jack is one of the most perfect YA guys ever. Supportive, understanding, and forgiving. He is there for Nikki in every way that she needs him to be. He doesn’t react badly to any of the craziness going on. Their relationship was pretty touching, and sweet. You can’t help but want them together. He is totally a guy worth fighting for.

I wanted to like Cole. I always love the bad boy. I wanted to root for him as well as Jack. I mean obviously he was going to be sexy and he can play the guitar. Sadly, Jack stole the show. I think it’s because I am not sure where Cole really stands when it comes to Nikki. I never could tell if he wanted her or was just using her. I am hoping book two clears this up because I am fully supportive of crushing on the bad boy.

As this is book one in a series I was expecting a cliffhanger of some sort. I got one that made me scream, and immediately want to grab for the second book. I am looking forward to see what comes next for Nikki, Jack and Cole, and I just hope the wait doesn't feel like 100 years.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I am so excited to pick this book up soon. There is a lot of hype around it and so many great reviews! I love Greek mythology as well and I'm happy to hear that you think the way Brodi writes this tale is well done. I hope the wait for book 2 doesn't feel long either (though it probably will!).

    Andrea
    Cozy Up With A Good Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh SIGH. Jack. Yes. Cole really intrigued me, I was constantly going back and forth with him, but it's Jack who won my over completely. I was cheering for him the entire time <3 But oh my gosh, YES. The ending! It tore at my heart! *sobs* And the fact that we have to wait so long for the sequel is killing me already. It WILL feel like 100 years!

    Amazing review, Kathy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, you convinced me. I will give this book another try. I don't know, for whatever reason I can't get past the first 50 or so pages, even though I tried 3 times already. It's so sad, cause I was really excited when S handed me the ARC during Stewart MacBride's author event T_T Boooo! I so want to love it, too!

    Excellent review, tho! Thanks to you I might just get through this book :) Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree about Nikki being very rash in her decision making. It made me want to shake her a few times! I LOVE Jack... OMG, he was almost perfect. ::Sigh:: Can't wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...