Thursday, October 24, 2019

American Horror Story: My Top Ten Fave Characters


American Horror Story celebrated its 100th episode last night. An incredible milestone that is worthy of a look back at some of my fave characters. This will not be in any particular order as that would be nearly impossible. I also predict that my choices may skew heavily towards my two favourite seasons - Hotel and Freakshow.

I am not including characters from 1984 as that season is currently airing (and I am not sure where all the characters will end up).

There are so many amazing characters and performances that it was hard to narrow it down, but these are my personal ten favourites.

1. Dandy Mott (Finn Wittrock) - Freakshow


Not only does Finn Wittrock absolutely slay the role of Dandy Mott but he also happens to be a fascinating character. His mix of American Psycho and old money with some mommy issues thrown in for good measure made for a dangerously fascinating character.

2. Liz Taylor (Denis O'Hare) - Hotel



Denis O'Hare's Liz Taylor was a stand out in an incredibly stacked season. There was something so achingly beautiful about this character and Denis' portrayal. Liz's snark, glamour, and intelligence is all the more reason to love her.

3. Tristan Duffy (Finn Wittrock) - Hotel


Tristan Duffy enters the scene in a memorable fashion. His model good looks catch the eye of the Countess (and pretty much everyone watching), but it's his biting humour, and sweet love story that made quite the impression. He may be a little clueless, but he proves himself to have a heart of gold in the end.

4. Fiona Goode (Jessica Lange) - Coven


This list would not be complete without some Jessica Lange on it, and Fiona Goode in all her complicated, sexy, bad ass glory is one of her best performances. The character is made all the better by the strength of her interactions with Sarah Paulson's Cordelia Foxx. This role, for me, proved that Jessica Lange can still slay, and look incredible while doing it.

5. Michael Langdon (Cody Fern) - Apocalypse


Cody Ferns nails the part of the part child/all antichrist Michael with utter perfection. He is graceful and languid when it matters, and possess a child like innocence when it is needed. The character's extreme father issues are only second to his abandonment ones, and it makes for a complexly endearing character who pulls at your heartstrings

6. Lana Winters (Sarah Paulson) - Asylum


Lana Winters is iconic and Sarah Paulson is one of my all time faves. I could have easily said EVERY character that Sarah has played on this show but I limited myself to two. She not only slays serial killers, but she also manages to be one bad ass reporter.

7. Countess (Lady Gaga) - Hotel


Not only does the Countess deliver what is probably my favourite line in the show (see above) but her obsession with great jawlines is entirely relatable. Hotel is the sexiest season and a large part of that is the chemistry Countess has with plenty of the male characters. It also showed us that Gaga can actually act.

8. James March (Evan Peters) - Hotel


I am probably committing some kind of crime by not having Tate Langdon on my list, but he is not my favourite. I, instead, am drawn to the H. H. Holmes mixed with Clark Gable inspired James March. It is the one role where I feel Evan is truly having fun. It seeps out of him in every scene. Mr March is a zany, over the top character who's comedic one liners delighted me to no end.

9. Constance Langdon (Jessica Lange) - Murder House


Another iconic performance from Jessica Lange. Constance is undoubtedly the worst mother of the year, but Jessica Lange plays this deadly Southern Belle to perfection.

10. Cordelia Foxx (Sarah Paulson) - Coven



Cordelia and Fiona's relationship is one of my favourite elements of Coven and that is in large part to how Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson play off each other. I adored this strong Supreme in Apocalypse. She stands up for her coven, is entirely selfless, and also manages to have incredible hair while doing so. Oh, and she stands up to the antichrist. She's a bad ass.

1 comment:

  1. I love this series! I'm currently in season 5, Hotel. So far I liked Assylum the best. I listen to The Name Game very often, the music in this series is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...