Friday, August 21, 2015

Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren



Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren
Release Date - May 13, 2014
Publisher Website - Simon and Schuster
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages - 416 pages
My Rating - 4.5/5
**borrowed from friend for review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
One-night stands are supposed to be with someone convenient, or wickedly persuasive, or regrettable. They aren’t supposed to be with someone like him.

But after a crazy Vegas weekend celebrating her college graduation—and terrified of the future path she knows is a cop-out—Mia Holland makes the wildest decision of her life: follow Ansel Guillaume—her sweet, filthy fling—to France for the summer and just…play.

When feelings begin to develop behind the provocative roles they take on, and their temporary masquerade adventures begin to feel real, Mia will have to decide if she belongs in the life she left because it was all wrong, or in the strange new one that seems worlds away. 
My recent experience with New Adult has reminded me why it's important not to give up on a genre or author if you don't enjoy a particular book. I have recently found quite a few New Adult reads that I've enjoyed and happily add Sweet Filthy Boy to that list. Christina Lauren's novel captures the uncertainty of the time right after college, and the big question of what happens next all while bringing some seriously sexy moments.

This novel is total wish fulfilment romance at it's most decadent. The Las Vegas and Paris settings, the extremely hot guy who creates an instant spark with our heroine, and the dream of being swept away to Paris for a whirlwind romance. The story however surprised me by going a little deeper, the characters are a little more flawed, and it creates a nice balance that makes this a truly pleasant reading experience.

Mia and her friends are the type of girls you would want to be friends with. Fun, loyal, caring, and real. They reminded me of the Sex in the City crew with their inside jokes, close knit friendship and how they bound together in times of need. While Mia is the focus, the author offers up just enough of the other girls to make you want to follow them on their own journeys. You learn just enough to be intrigued and that makes all the difference for side characters. They never felt like after thoughts. Even the other guys who are part of Ansel's group left you with enough to be intrigued and want to know more.

The novel showcases it's premise that getting out of your own head can be entirely rewarding (and satisfying) all while showing that sometimes reality is better than any fiction. The use of role play offered up something a little different from what I typically read. I've heard each novel focuses on different sexual fantasies (like role play, and bondage) and it's definitely piqued my interest as I haven't seen that be an element in other NA novels I've read and made this series stand out in a good way.

The romance is sweet and sexy. Ansel brings out something in Mia that she's struggled to find within herself. It's a confidence in her own decisions and the ability to let go. She is struggling to live the life she wants, instead of the one that others think she should have. Ansel shows her that she can make her own choices, even if she is constantly over thinking them. I appreciated that he doesn't 'change' her but rather shows her something that has always been there, it's just something she lost for a while. Their bond is really sweet, and offers up enough heat to make any beach reading session a little hotter. I predict many will be a fan of this pairing as they're effortless to root for and have some serious chemistry.

A sizzling, sexy start to what may just become one of my favourite NA series. Christina Lauren balances characters, plot, sex and drama to create a delightful (and slightly naughty) read. If you're looking to spice up your book collection I recommend trying this series. I doubt you'll be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...