Tuesday, November 22, 2016

2017 Most Anticipated - Who's That Girl



The next book I've selected as part of my 2017 Most Anticipated Event is one that offers up a little wish fulfillment fantasy. I mean, who at some point in their life hasn't wanted to have a song written about them? The reality, however, would probably be greatly different than the day dream. I couldn't imagine if the song became popular and that was ALL THAT WAS ON THE RADIO.


There are PLENTY of popular songs known to be written about someone in particular. There are plenty of others who the person in question is a much debated mystery. Either way we love the drama of it and that is exactly why this next book caught my eye.


Check out this Goodreads synopsis and tell me you don't immediately want to read this (and create a playlist of all the songs speculated to be written about someone in particular).
Junior Nattie McCullough is totally OK with her place in life: Latin whiz. Member of the school’s gay-straight alliance. Joni Mitchell superfan. Seventeen-year-old who has never been kissed. So when last summer’s crush and her former classmate—Young Lungs lead singer Sebastian Delacroix—comes back to town with his new hit single “Natalie,” she can’t bring herself to believe it could possibly be about her…could it?

As Nattie sorts through the evidence (the lyrics, Sebastian’s elusive text messages, and their brief romantic encounter last year), the song’s popularity skyrockets, and everyone starts speculating about “Natalie’s” identity. If that wasn’t mortifying enough, Nattie runs into another problem: her confusing, flirtation-packed feelings for her good friend Zach. With her once-average life upended, Nattie is determined to figure out once and for all if her short-lived past with Sebastian was something love songs are made of—or just a one-hit wonder.
How great is the name Sebastian Delacroix? Total book boyfriend name. Combine that with the potential for some romance drama and I am entirely sold on this cute sounding contemporary.

Blair kindly agreed to answer a few questions about her book and has ensured I want to read this immediately.

1 What gif do you feel represents Who's That Girl?



2 If someone were to make a signature ice cream in honour of your book, what might be included?

Definitely not strawberries! In honor of Zach the Anarchist's baking skills, I'd say pumpkin chocolate chip.

3 Your main character is dealing with the fact that a very popular song might have been written about her. Would you want a song written about you?

Oh gosh, it's sort of hard to say no, right? But unless there's a way to get rockin' lyrics out of things like "being very tall" and "going to the library a lot" I don't think I'd make a very good subject. Plus, considering all the stuff poor Nattie goes through...it's probably not worth it!

4 What is your favourite song that is knowingly to be about someone the author of the song knew?

I probably have to say a Joni Mitchell song here, right? I love "Carey" from her Blue album, which isn't really a love song, but is very upbeat and fun, and supposedly based on an eccentric chef that Joni met one summer in Greece (although some people claim it's about James Taylor...drama!)

5 Name a song you listed to for inspiration while writing this novel (if you didn't listen to music let me know and I can quickly send another question)

Well, I definitely listened to a lot of Joni :) But I also grooved on "Maureen" by Fountains of Wayne, which is just super catchy, and has a woman's name in the title. It definitely got me into the groove of the book, although it's probably a little too poppy to sound like the Young Lungs.

6 If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel?

This is the hardest question I have ever been asked, and I will probably change my mind as soon as I answer! But right now I would have to say London in the late 16th century, so I could see a Shakespeare play performed with the original actors and hopefully not catch plague or anything.

7 What 2017 release are you most anticipating?

So many! I am really looking forward to Angie Thomas's The Hate U Give, Whitney Gardner's You're Welcome, Universe, and Karuna Riazi's The Gauntlet.

8 If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Who's That Girl?

"Everything weird started the day my dad brought home the yurt."


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip ice cream sounds amazing! Is anyone else humming 'You're So Vain' right now, or is that just me? This interview only has me more excited to see what happens when Nattie's world get turned upside down thanks to a song.

Who's That Girl releases July 11, 2017 and can be pre-ordered right now from any retailer.

.
You can also follow Blair on Twitter, visit her website, and find out more about her books on the publisher website.

Are you a fan of contemporary novels? Would you want a song to be written about you? Has a song been written about you? Let me know in the comments!

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to find out the next book that made this year's list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...