Wednesday, November 25, 2020

2021 Most Anticipated - City of Villains



The next book on my 2021 most anticipated list is pitched as Jessica Jones meets Disney and I was immediately sold. It's a bit of an origin story for some of Disney's most iconic villains as well as the beginning of a crime series.


City of Villains by Estelle Laure not only sounds amazing but it is begging to be picked up by Disney+ as a television show. 


The Goodreads synopsis makes this sound incredibly fun and probably a little darker than we're expecting.
Disney’s Villains meet Gotham in this gritty fairy tale-inspired crime series.

Mary Elizabeth Heart is a high school senior by day, but by night she’s an intern at the Monarch City police department. She watches with envy from behind a desk as detectives come and go, trying to contain the city’s growing crime rate. For years, tension has simmered between the city’s wealthy elite, and their plans to gentrify the decaying neighborhood called the Scar—once upon a time the epicenter of all things magic.

When the daughter of one of the city’s most powerful businessmen goes missing, Mary Elizabeth is thrilled when the Chief actually puts her on the case. But what begins as one missing person’s report soon multiplies, leading her down the rabbit hole of a city in turmoil. There she finds a girl with horns, a boyfriend with secrets, and what seems to be a sea monster lurking in a poison lake. As the mystery circles closer to home, Mary finds herself caught in the fight between those who once had magic, and those who will do anything to bring it back.

This dark and edgy YA series explores the reimagined origins of Maleficent, Ursula, Captain Hook, and other infamous Disney Villains like you’ve never seen before. 
I love that is is embracing the magic and wonder that we all love about Disney while incorporating a more gritty feel.

Estelle has kindly taken the time to answer a few questions about the book, Disney villains, and shares her favourite detectives in pop culture.

1 What gif do you feel best represents City of Villains?


2 If someone were to make a signature drink in honour of your book, what might be included?

The Caterpillar, featured in the book and served at Wonderland where my characters like to hang out, is bitters and tonic. I’d add a cherry, a splash of lime, and a good vodka, plus a butterfly wing (the butterfly was already dead) and dried rose petals. 

3 This involves Disney Villains. Which Disney villain is your favourite?

I love this question and it changes every time. I’m always torn between Maleficent and Ursula. They’re both moods, you know? Sometimes you have to be the kind of queen who smites everyone in sight and sometimes you have to be the kind that had a great time being wicked. Monday’s a Maleficent kind of day and Friday is all Ursula, know what I mean? But then again, teen Captain Hook is so intriguing…. I failed this question. I can’t choose.

4 The main character in this book gets to be a little bit of a detective. Who is your favourite detective from entertainment media? 

Seriously? I don’t know if I can choose that either! I’m a big fan of the British procedural Marcella; I loved the HBO Perry Mason last summer and can’t wait for more; I also have an obsession with true crime so I love Michelle McNamara, an actual person, and her determination to track the Golden State Killer. I listen to a bunch of True Crime podcasts as well, and appreciate the people who bring attention to cold cases. Listen, you opened a whole can of worms here. 

5 What 2021 release are you most anticipating?

Too many to name! I’m going to say IN THE WILD LIGHT because Jeff Zentner emotionally hobbles me every time I read his books, but also give me every Danielle Paige, Dhonielle Clayton, Elana K. Arnold, and I loved Julie Buxbaum’s ADMISSION (I was lucky enough to get an ARC of that one and it’s just so good).

6 If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of City of Villains.

“The world ended because of me.” 

We definitely share an admiration for Michelle McNamara and what a bad ass she was. Jessica Jones is one of my favourite television detectives so I am thrilled to have this be compared to her and her series.


City of Villains releases February 2, 2021 but is available for pre-order it right now from any retailer. Be sure to grab your copy because I expect this one might cause a lot of buzz.

You can find out more about Estelle and her books by following her on Twitter, and by visiting her her website. You can also find out more about her books on the publisher website.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to for the next book on my 2021 most anticipated list. 

1 comment:

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...