Monday, December 3, 2018

2019 Most Anticipated - Red, White and Royal Blue



The next book in my 2019 Most Anticipated event is one that offers up a romance between the son of the President of the United States and the Prince of England. Casey McQuiston's Red, White and Royal Blue is pretty much the rom-com I have been waiting for!


This book, as per the synopsis, includes a female president. I am entirely sold just based on that alone, but throw in the adorable sounding romance and I instantly needed this book.


The Goodreads synopsis for this novel will make you immediately want to go add it to your 'to be read' list! 
First Son Alex Claremont-Diaz is the closest thing to a prince this side of the Atlantic. With his intrepid sister and the Veep’s genius granddaughter, they’re the White House Trio, a beautiful millennial marketing strategy for his mother, President Ellen Claremont. International socialite duties do have downsides—namely, when photos of a confrontation with his longtime nemesis Prince Henry at a royal wedding leak to the tabloids and threaten American/British relations.

The plan for damage control: staging a fake friendship between the First Son and the Prince. Alex is busy enough handling his mother’s bloodthirsty opponents and his own political ambitions without an uptight royal slowing him down. But beneath Henry’s Prince Charming veneer, there’s a soft-hearted eccentric with a dry sense of humor and more than one ghost haunting him.

As President Claremont kicks off her reelection bid, Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret relationship with Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations. And Henry throws everything into question for Alex, an impulsive, charming guy who thought he knew everything: What is worth the sacrifice? How do you do all the good you can do? And, most importantly, how will history remember you?
Amazing right? I am also looking forward to the inevitable Netflix movie that gets adapted from this book.

Casey took the some time to answer a few questions about her book and let us know what inspired her to write it, and what ice cream she would make in honour of Red, White and Royal Blue.

1 What gif do you feel represents Red, White and Royal Blue?

Oh, that's hard! But I'd say this one from Friday Night Lights: 


2 If someone were to make a signature ice cream in honour of your book, what might be included?

A mix of earl grey (for Henry) and cinnamon sugar (for Alex) with a swirl of cajeta. 

3 What inspired you to write a romance between the son of the United States President and the Prince of Wales?

In early 2016, I was following the presidential campaign super closely (weren't we all?) while simultaneously reading Carl Bernstein's Hillary Clinton biography and THE ROYAL WE. These things had left me with the desire to write two characters: a rebellious, Kennedy-esque, ambitious First Kid, and a quiet, misunderstood Prince Charming. I was literally driving to work one day when suddenly I realized—I could make them fall in love with each other and do it all in one story! I loved the idea of a royal romance that is on level footing in terms of fame and political power, and I really wanted to write something that captures what I love about Parks & Rec and Veep. So here we are!

4 Name a song you listed to for inspiration while writing this novel

"Texas Reznikoff" by Mitski. My protag, Alex, is from Austin, Texas, so this one came up a lot when I was drafting to help me get into his headspace. Like, so much so that I thanked it in the acknowledgements.

5 If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel?

Would it be silly to say I'd go back to 2015? So many other time periods seem nice aesthetically but in practice would be a nightmare. But I'd love to go back to the comfort of an Obama administration for a day. Maybe the day of the Obergefell ruling, even? Rainbow White House or bust. 

6 What 2019 release are you most anticipating?

So many! Tons of my friends and incredibly talented authors have books coming out in 2019 so it's hard to pick just one, but Hafsah Faizal's WE HUNT THE FLAME is definitely up there. 

7 If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Red, White and Royal Blue

Here's the first line!

On the White House roof, tucked into a corner of the Promenade, there’s a bit of loose paneling
right on the edge of the Solarium. If you tap it just right, you can peel it back enough to find a
message etched underneath, with the tip of a key or maybe a stolen West Wing letter opener.


I am very excited about everything to do with this book. A little heads up that this one is not Young Adult and will be in the romance section for those looking for it (and I believe there will be a lot of cross over appeal).

Red, White and Royal Blue releases June 4, 2019 but you can pre-order it right now from any retailer (or snag it with those holiday gift cards).

You can find out more about Casey by following her on Twitter, and by visiting her publisher website.

Are you a fan of books that include royalty? What about romance novels? Let me know in the comments!

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to for the next book on my 2019 most anticipated list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...