Friday, June 12, 2020

#2020PopCultureResolution - Rear Window




Rear Window

Director: Alfred Hitchcock

Length:  115 minutes

Cast: James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Thelma  Ritter

Release Date:  September 11954

Synopsis: Professional photographer Jeff is stuck in his apartment, recuperating from a broken leg. Out of boredom, he begins to spy on his neighbours and comes across a shocking revelation.

***********************************************


When asked about Alfred Hitchcock movies most people will immediately name Psycho as their favourite of his movies. I predict that for many it might be the only one of his films that they have seen.

My knowledge of Hitchcock movies is limited and I have more than a few that I still need to watch. I started closing that gap in my classic Hollywood education with Rear Window. It's a movie about voyeurism, and how curiosity can often lead us into danger.


There is a tension that is palpable almost immediately. The plot is rather simple but is used to great effect. James Stewart's Jeff is confined to his home due to an accident that has rendered him immobile for the time being. He passes the time peering into his neighbour's apartment through their windows. It is a pastime that turns dangerous when he suspects one of his neightbours may have killed his wife.

It goes without saying that this is masterfully directed film. There is a reason that Hitchcock's work has influenced so much of modern cinema. I was riveted from pretty much the first frame.

James Stewart has quickly become one of my favourite leading men from Hollywood's golden age. He's as fascinating to watch in this as he is in any other movie I have seen him in. He exudes a certain charm and that makes his chemistry with his costars shine all the brighter.


This movie marks the first time I have seen Grace Kelly in anything. Her wardrobe is incredible. It is probably one of the things that will stand out for most people about her performance in this film. She makes the most out of the role of Lisa that she can. Sadly, many of the women in this are used as a means to prop up the male character or objectified via his voyeurism. I may not be clamoring to see all the rest of her movies but I can see why she would have been the Hollywood Blonde for a moment. She also seems perfect for the role of Hitchcock's muse. There is a sophistication and a coldness to her that works especially well here.

One of my favourite elements of the movie is that we, the viewer, become complicit in Jeff's crimes of voyerism. We also peep into the lives of his neighbours and get our just desserts along with Jeff when he is forced to watch his actions potentially lead to horrific (and personal) consequences. A movie impacting the audience this way and making them feel a bit of that discomfort in their own participation is always something that resonates with me. I find it causes you to think about what you are consuming in a new way.

Hitchcock's use of the 'less is more' style of horror and scares is always so unsettling to me. The camera flashes that come towards the end of the movie sent my heart racing because of the precipice it leaves you on. It is like a rollercoaster and you are waiting for the drop. Anything could happen in those moments in between and that is what Hitchcock is so good at. He doesn't need gore because he trusts the audience's brain to fill in something worse anyway.


I can definitely see why many refer to this movie as Hitchcock's masterpiece. This is one of, and perhaps will be, my favourite movies from this whole experiment. It may even be my favourite Hitchcock movie. Sorry, Psycho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...