Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Book Expo America Day One



Day one of Book Expo America started early. Previous experience let me know that people started arriving at the Javits Center around 7:00 or so. Our group arrived and got a place in line to wait for the exhibit hall to open.

A trend that I enjoyed last year was the morning 'entertainment'. Becca Fitzpatrick had something for the Hush, Hush series in 2012. This year was Veronica Roth's turn as cute tote bags were handed out by members of the different factions of Divergent. 

One of the factions of Divergent handing out tote bags

I also loved the Mortal Instruments banner that was above the exhibit hall doors....


Since day one tends to be the busiest, it also tends to be the day I get the most books. This year was no different.
Emilie and Jess waiting to be let into the exhibit hall

I met Kendare Blake and talked about her book being set in the town of Thunder Bay, Ontario. It's a town I am familiar with and was quite excited to see it used in a story. Kendare is really nice, and I was beyond happy to get a copy of Antigoddess. 

I also met Marisha Pessl who is releasing her second novel, Night Film, at the end of the summer. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this thrilling sounding read. In fact, it may have been the book I was most looking forward to getting my hands on during the event.

Random House's booth was a popular one for me that day, as I also queued up for Lauren Kate's signing. I love all these Atlantis inspired novels that seem to be popping up. Side note regarding Random House - their in booth signings are run amazingly well. They have strict policies about when you can line up, and they had out tickets to ensure they don't have more people than books. It made for a much more pleasant experience.

I wasn't expecting to make the Kami Garcia signing, but as luck would have it I was able to catch the tail end of it. She included a fantastic Unbreakable bookmark as well. Super excited to have a copy of this.

The other books I snagged were drops done at the publisher's booths. The most popular by far was the Scholastic drop for The Dream Thieves. I was impressed at the sheer number of people lined up to get a copy of this coveted sequel. The Raven Boys was fantastic, so I have high hopes for this one.


Teardrop by Lauren Kate (Goodreads)
Splintered/Unhinged by AG Howard (Goodreads)
Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles (Goodreads)
Antigoodess by Kendare Blake (Goodreads)
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater (Goodreads)
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas (Goodreads)
Jessica Darling's It List #1 by Megan McCafferty (Goodreads)
The 100 by Kass Morgan (Goodreads)
Mrs Poe by Lynn Cullen (Goodreads)
Covet by Tracey Garvis Graves (Goodreads)


Night Film by Marisha Pessl (Goodreads)
All The Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry (Goodreads)
Marie Antoinette Serial Killer by Katie Alender (Goodreads)
The Returned by Jason Mott (Goodreads)
Burial Rights by Hannah Kent (Goodreads)
Frozen by Melissa De La Cruz and Michael Johnston (Goodreads)
Unbreakable by Kami Garcia (Goodreads)
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black (Goodreads)

Certain books seem to have a bigger presence than others. Bloomsbury is certainly promoting The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon. I was familiar with the title before BEA (as I am an advocate) and was thrilled to see all the attention it was getting. Another big Bloomsbury title was Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas.

Harlequin's big title was The Returned by Jason Mott. If you're not already aware a TV show based on the novel will be debuting on the ABC network this Fall. Resurrection looks amazing, and if you haven't already be sure to check out the teaser trailer for it.

Other big titles of the convention were All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill, Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein, and everyone seemed to want to get their hands on the new Jessica Darling.

The longest line I waited in for a signing was Victoria Schwab's for Vicious (more on that tomorrow). I also hear that the Holly Black signing line was long as well. 

I left the first day feeling insanely lucky, tired, and excited about the titles coming out in the second half of the year. It made me feel that my favourite read has yet to be discovered, and that is an incredible feeling.

My other two days were not nearly as busy so I am going to recap them together. Be sure to come back tomorrow for the rest of my Book Expo America experience.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we ended up bumping into each other so much! You picked up some really great books :) Missed out on The Returned.. but super excited about All the Truth That's In Me!

    Great recap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy book lust.... LOOK AT ALL THOSE AMAZING BOOKS. I am beyond excited to see what you think of these, especially Teardrop, The Dream Thieves, Wild Cards, Antigoddess.... gah, ALL OF THEM. I don't know whether to read The 100 before watching the tv show or not.... perhaps I'll wait to see what your opinion is :D

    So amazing that you got to chat with the likes of Kendare Blake, author extraordinnaire. Can't wait to see what you got up to during the next two days of your trip, sounds like it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go to BEA one year... one year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be anxiously awaiting your review for Teardrop and Antigoddess! Fingers crossed that they are really great. EVERYONE and their mama is taking about Crown of Midnight. I still need to read the first book to that as well!

    Enjoy your new reads, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...