Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Waiting On Wednesday ....... American Girls


Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

My pick this week is American Girls by Alison Umminger


Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Anna is a fifteen-year-old girl slouching toward adulthood.

Anna has had an excruciating year, topped off with new stepparents and a new school. So, she "borrows" her family's credit card and runs away to LA to crash with her half-sister. But in addition to not being wanted back by her parents, at least not immediately, Anna has to work to pay her way home. Her sister's creepy ex-boyfriend is directing an indie film inspired by girls who come to LA and disappear, literally or metaphorically, and he hires Anna for a seriously macabre research project--to research the murderous Manson girls.

This is not quite the summer Anna had in mind, but it may just be the one that she needs to understand and accept her family, and herself, in a new way. 

In Anna's singular voice, we glimpse not only a picture of life on the B-list in LA, but also a clear-eyed reflection on being young, vulnerable, lost, and female in America--in short, on the B-list of life. Alison Umminger writes about girls, sex, violence, and which people society deems worthy of caring about, which ones it doesn't, in a way not often seen in YA fiction.
This book has been on my radar since I first read the announcement. My desire to read it only increased as I heard more about it, and saw tweets confirming it was incredible. I keep hearing how great the writing is, and the premise sounds perfect for me.

The only thing about this book that doesn't sound amazing? The long wait until it's May release!

Expected release date - May 3, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...