Monday, December 23, 2013

Best of 2013


Top Ten Books of 2013!

We're getting close to the end of the year, and I am officially taking it easy on the blog for the rest of 2013. Kicking off Christmas week I am going to put up my list of the top ten books I read in 2013. This was hard, really hard.

There is a mix of YA, and adult on here. It was a good year for both genres. I've indicated which titles are adult. Each of the books link to my review (if posted).


Katherine Longshore brings Anne Boleyn to life effortlessly. Her voice stayed in my head long after I had finished the novel, and Katherine's brilliant writing only improves with each novel. She creates a sympathetic, yet still driven portrait of the doomed queen. Fans of Anne Boleyn will relish this one, and newcomers to the Tudor court will find much to enjoy as well. It's sexy, scandalous, and heart pulling.


A mind warp at it's finest. You'll feel like you're in one of Cordova's 'night films yourself as you question everything. This novel dares to question belief, perception, and reality. Does believing in something make it reality? It's thought provoking ending will make you want to read the novel again.


Victoria Schwab blurs the lines between good, evil and creates something in between. Vicious wants to make you question mortality, and your definition of the 'anti-hero'. Needless to say, she succeeds. Vicious is not only thrilling, taunt, and addictive, but it's brilliantly written. I, personally, was left wanting to beg her for more. You won't soon forget Victor or Eli after reading this one.


An intoxicating duology that ends with a fantastic finale. Bethany has created a world that is rich, characters that will immediately grab you, and has ended the series in the most fitting way. It's decadent, dangerous, and yet there is a little light of hope, which is exactly the message of her story. Araby grows leaps and bounds and remains one of my favourite female protagonists. 


After finishing Tampa I felt two things - shock and disbelief. A provocative, controversial novel whose main character, Celeste, is someone you will never forget. Alissa takes what could have been a disaster, and creates something thought provoking, and brilliantly written. It made me want to discuss it with everyone, but it also made me want to warn them (and I think that's exactly what Alissa was going for).

** Tampa is REALLY adult. It is not intended for the younger readers**


Another debut novelist who impressed me with her writing. The world building is fantastic, and Paige is a character I am going to love seeing evolve and change throughout the novel. An impressive set up to what appears to be an amazing series. If you're looking for the next series to get obsessed with, this just might be it.

7 Cress by Marissa Meyer

I don't want to say to much, as this one is not on shelves yet. I will say that I fell in love with Cress (both the book and the character). Marissa Meyer's third novel has set up what is going to be one spectacular finale. The writing is just as engaging as the previous novels, and the plot is tight. This is a series where you can tell the author has planned, and plotted and is weaving everything together. I am so excited to watch everyone fall in love with Cress once it's released, she's truly wonderful.


Willem may just be my favourite male voice. He's exactly what I imagined while reading Just One Day, except even more so. He's just as swoony, just as complicated, and just as infuriating as you would anticipate after reading Allyson's story. This novel completes her story in a way that you won't be able to imagine one without the other. They are two sides of the same coin, and Gayle's writing shines as she brings Willem to life.


I loved Born Wicked. It was everything I wanted out of a witch novel. Star Cursed only improved on an already fantastic story. Jessica Spotswood's writing is impressive, and her characters are rich. The stage is set for the installment to this series, and the stakes just keep getting higher. A heart ripping ending, mixed with delightful characters, made this one an easy choice for this life. If you haven't checked out this series - do it immediately.


I cried my way through a large portion of this novel. Leonard Peacock's head is not a pleasant place to be, but there is no denying that Leonard's story MUST be told. Matthew Quick creates sympathy in a character who, at first, may seem undeserving. As you unravel Leonard's secret you quickly come to feel his pain. Matthew Quick has creates a timeless story that will crush your heart, and yet give you a little ray of hope as well.

Any of these titles make your top ten this year? Will you be adding any to your reading list in 2014? Let me know in the comments (link me your top ten if you've posted yours!).


1 comment:

  1. This is a really great list, Kathy! I still need to read SOOOOOO many of these books. I really need to read Just One Day/Year and Star Cursed soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...