Thursday, August 1, 2013

*YOU PICK WHAT I READ EVENT* Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris



Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
Release Date – April 24, 2012
Publisher Website - Harper Collins
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter/Facebook/SavvyReader
Pages - 464 pages
My Rating- 4/5
**received at BEA**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.

And that was before she died...and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet.
Unraveling has it all. Action, romance, and a quick paced plot that will suck you in. I started it knowing very little about it, and ended enjoying this one immensely.

Janelle is instantly a character you like. She reads differently from a lot of YA heroines. She's very much the 'adult' in her household because her mother is in now position to take care of her, and her father works all the time. She comes across as very mature, and yet child like at the same time. Her relationship with her brother is one of the best parts of the story. They've learned to take care of each other because their home life is a little complicated. The love they have for each other comes through in the way their written.

Ben, Elijah and Reid and their story is compelling. I wanted to know more about these three guys, and their backstory. Their connection is complicated, and how Elizabeth portrays that is perfect. They are bonded by something pretty incredible, and life altering. I wouldn't mind something from Ben's perspective to dive a little deeper into his head, and the connections he's forged with Elijah and Ben.

The romance is rather sweet. It's not overly done, and it felt like a teen romance should. Emotions are heightened as a teenager, connections feel more intense. The connection that is made is built from something that felt realistic, even among the science fiction heavy plot. My favourite moment romance wise is when Ben uses something Janelle said to express his feelings for her. He listens and takes her into consideration. It was sweet.

Janelle also has the best friend ever in Alex. He's the voice of reason. The one character who says what everyone is thinking. He supports Janelle, but also tells her when she's getting in over her head. It was refreshing to have a purely platonic relationship between a male and female character in YA. It's rare, and this one was done wonderfully.

Science fiction and I tend not to mix. I love when the author explains things. I am not someone that can just accept something without there being a basis behind it. Elizabeth Norris takes the time to establish rules, consequences, and logic behind her science fiction. She makes it immediately understandable for those who may not be as science inclined as others.

The biggest part of Unraveling was how actions has consequences. Things I thought wouldn't happen ended up happening. Deaths, destruction, and twists and turns are plentiful in this novel. The end reads a light speed because you become riveted by what is happening. It's sometimes rare to see an author 'go there' with their plot and characters, and Elizabeth Norris doesn't hold anything back. 

While this is part of a series the first book doesn't end in the typical fashion of series installments. While there are some lingering questions, the majority of the storyline is wrapped up into a bittersweet ending that, if no other books were to follow, would be a fitting ending on it's own. I love self contained installments in series, so this was a pleasant surprise.
A thrilling, engaging read that surprised me. I was fully invested in Janelle, and therefore her story. A fun read that will certainly have me picking up the sequel.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with your review. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed reading Unraveling. I loved Janelle, and the ending was great too. I probably need to do a reread before reading the sequel just because I read the entire book lightning quick. Great review.

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...