Thursday, January 31, 2019

My Sinemia Experiment: Month Six



I cannot believe I am already half way through this little experiment of mine. Month six of my "Year Of Sinemia' was all about getting to see those movies nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars that I hadn't already seen. This will be the first year that I have seen all of the nominees before the ceremony and that is entirely because of signing up for Sinemia.

January is usually not a great month for movies. There doesn't tend to be a lot of them released and the ones that are never really seem to grab my attention. I am lucky that it can sometimes take forever for Ottawa to get some of the smaller movies so I was able to see a lot of movies that had limited releases in December and finally made their way to a theater near me in January. 

The three movies I saw in January with my Sinemia account were Vice, If Beale Street Could Talk, and Green Book (which I will technically be watching the day this post goes up).


I loved If Beale Street Could Talk. It's such a beautifully made film and incredibly well acted. It was by far my favourite of the three that I saw this month (and I say this without seeing Green Book). I am only seeing Green Book to complete my watch of all the Oscar nominees. It, and Roma, are the only two I have not seen yet and I intend to watch Roma very soon.

My savings for this month was $17.86 after taking the convenience fees into consideration. This brings my grand total savings up to $137.64 (last month's total was $119.78). I can easily see me saving over $200 by the end of the year. It makes signing up again seem like a good idea. I'll reassess closer to the end of my membership.

My experience with the app this month has been really positive. I had no issues again this month. I am almost afraid to hope that their bugs have mostly been sorted out. It's been perfect for two months in a row now so I am, obviously, waiting for it to get bad again. The worst part of this experiment for the month of January was going out in the freezing cold to see a movie. It's been a really bad month weather wise with the cold and huge amounts of snow so it hasn't made going out appealing. 

As previously mentioned the movies for February are not looking much better than the ones releasing in January so I may have to get creative in order to not lose any of my three movies. Sinemia may have actually helped me with my dilemma. Sinemia has recently announced a roll over option which I might test out. Apparently one of your movies can roll over into the next month. March has a lot of amazing ones coming out so I might try to save one to use on one of those instead of just going to something for the sake of going to something. 

What movies are you excited about this year? Anything I should keep on my radar? What movie do you think will win Best Picture at the Oscars? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...