Tuesday, January 8, 2019

What I Am Excited For In 2019


We are a week into 2019 and I figured now would be an excellent time to showcase the things in pop culture that I am most looking forward to this year. I am not going to discuss books because I had an entire event dedicated to showcasing some of the titles I am excited for in year to come. Today's post will focus on movies, television shows, and podcasts that I am looking forward to entertaining me this year.

PODCASTS

The podcast section will most likely be the shortest but there are a few things I am excited about. It is hard to predict what will be the next big thing and may podcasts do not announce themselves months in advance the way movies and television shows do.

1. Exactly Right

The podcast network started by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark (aka the amazing ladies behind My Favorite Murder) has definitely got my attention. They launched late 2018 with some pre-established shows and are going to expand this year with some that they helped create specifically for the network. The exciting part for me? These have all been chosen with fans of My Favorite Murder in mind! I am fairly certain that one of these podcasts will quickly become a new obsession for me (and I have a feeling that Paul Holes may end up being the host of one of them). 

2. Disgraceland Season 3

This is easily one of my favourite podcasts and I am so excited for it to return from hiatus in February. I cannot wait to see what musicians he features and what episodes will end up being my favourites. 

TELEVISION


I could, again, list a bunch of television shows I am looking forward to in 2019, but I am going to keep this to my top five.

1. Stranger Things Season 3

It is probably no surprise that this made my list. It is the show I am most looking forward to in 2019! I gushed already about great the poster is and am (im)patiently waiting for a trailer! 

2. I Am The Night

Patty Jenkins and Chris Pine once again team up for this limited series that seems to revolve around The Black Daliha. 


The trailer is really gripping so I hope the show is as good as I think it is going to be.

3. Game Of Thrones (Final Season)

It's all been leading up to this final season! We're finally going to know who will sit on the Iron Throne at the end of it all. Winter is here!

4. Mindhunter Season 2

The second season is rumoured to feature both Ted Bundy and Charles Manson as Holden Ford and Bill Tench continue to interview serial killers and help solve cases. The Atlanta Child Killings are supposed to have a large focus and I expect that we'll have Cameron Britton's Ed Kemper show up again.

5. Fosse/Verdon

 I saw this trailer during the Golden Globes and immediately wanted to watch this show. Both Michelle Williams and Sam Rockwell are great actors and this looks like a potential Emmy contender.


I love the way this trailer bounces from the obvious more dramatic elements, but also has the flair and fun of the dancing.
MOVIES

There are way too many movies on my list for 2019. Instead of listing every single one I figured I would keep it to a maximum of 10. As more and more movies are announced I am certain there will be some that end up my favourites that are not even on my radar this early in the year. The list is in no particular order other than by release month as it was easier.

I am also going to keep all of the Disney and Marvel movies off this list. It goes without saying that I am excited for them and it gives me a chance to spotlight other titles instead of a whole list featuring them.

1. Us (March 15th)

Anyone who has seen Get Out knows exactly why Jordan Peele's newest movie would be on this list!


The trailer is creepy and I am so intrigued by the entire premise! There is a lot of potential with the 'we're our own worst enemy' vibe that this movie has. 

2. Wounds (March 29th)

I was intrigued by this one the instant I heard it was a New Orleans set thriller.


No trailer yet so I'll share the description provided on IMDBDisturbing and mysterious things begin to happen to a bartender in New Orleans after he picks up a phone left behind at his bar. 

3. Rocketman (May 31st)

This Elton John biopic seems to be offering a unique twist to the genre.


Taron Egerton looks great as Elton and I love the 'based on a true fantasy' tagline.

4. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (July 26th)

There has not been much released for this one yet but I've been cautiously optimistic about it since the movie was announced.  For those who may have missed what this one is about, here is the IMDB description.

A faded TV actor and his stunt double embark on an odyssey to make a name for themselves in the film industry during the Helter Skelter reign of terror in 1969 Los Angeles.

The true crime aspect of this movie was the hook, but I appreciate that the murders are going to be in the background. Plenty of movies have already been made about these crimes. It'll be interesting to see it from a different perspective.

5. The Goldfinch (October 11th)

This is based off the book by Donna Tartt and it seems to already be popping up on potential Oscar contenders lists. The IMDB page has this description:

A boy in New York is taken in by a wealthy Upper East Side family after his mother is killed in a bombing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

It also caught my eye because it has Sarah Paulson in it. I am looking forward to seeing a trailer (and reading the book this year hopefully).

6. Last Christmas (November 15th)

This sounds like a fun holiday movie with a very charming cast! It also happens to be named after the famous song.

There isn't a description or much known about the movie other than it is a holiday romance set in London. It stars Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding which is enough to get me to go see it.

7. Queen and Slim (November 27th - rumoured)

Again, not much is known about this movie. It has a rumoured release date of November 27th and I was intrigued by the fact it stars Daniel Kaluuya whom I have loved in everything I have seen him in.

The IMDB and release date sound like potential Oscar bait to me:

A couple's first date takes an unexpected turn when a police officer pulls them over.

8. Knives Out (November 27th)

This one sounds like it could be a lot of fun. It's described as a modern murder mystery in a classic whodunit style (as per IMDB) and stars Chris Evans, Toni Collette, and Michael Shannon (to name a few). 

9. Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (release date unknown)

Our first glimpse of Zac Efron as Ted Bundy was enough to get me excited for this movie.


This tells the story from the point of view of Ted's girlfriend, Elizabeth Kloepfer, and her coming to terms with the fact he was a monster.

10. The Highwaymen (release date unknown)

I have always been fascinated by the story of Bonnie and Clyde. This movie seems to offer up a different point of view by focusing on the law enforcement who tried to apprehend them.

The description from IMDB reads:

A pair of police officers come out of retirement to catch the infamous outlaws Bonnie & Clyde.

There is, interestingly, no Bonnie or Clyde listed in the cast so we may not even see the infamous duo. This one has a rumoured release date of March 29th but I cannot find anything definitive.

What are you most looking forward to in 2019? Let me know in the comments! I am excited to add new books, shows, and movies to my list (and always love podcast recommendations) so I cannot wait to see what you're all excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...