Thursday, January 28, 2021

Recent Reads I Would Like To See On The Big (or Small) Screen

 


We all have those books that we instantly want to see adapted into a movie or television show. Books that read as cinematic. I decided to share a list of recent reads that I would love to see adapted.

In no particular order here are my top five:

1. The Project by Courtney Summers

This book reads as very cinematic and cults are certainly having a moment right now. The casting of Lo and Lev both offer up some intriguing possibilities and it is definitely the casting that would make or break this adaptation. If I had a choice I think I would prefer it to be a movie. Courtney's stories are complex but condensed enough that I don't think anything would be missing if done in this format. I could be persuaded that a three episode limited series would be better though. I would also love for her other novel, Sadie, to be adapted as well.


2. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by VE Schwab

This book has already been optioned for film adaptation (which would not have been my first choice after reading this book). I think there is a lot to the story that will work as a film adaptation instead of a television series, but I hope they still manage to capture the characterization and complexity that this book has and that a series would allow.

I had already casted my vote for Cody Fern to play Luc before I read the novel and reading it made me even more confident in that choice. There is a lot of interesting roles to cast though and I am excited to see who eventually does get cast.

3. The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune


This adorable read could easily be an animated series on Netflix and it's ending provides enough material for it to continue on outside of the story in the book. I would also happily accept a live action version of the story with the proper CGI budget in place. It's heartwarming and would be an excellent family binge show. I would be most interested in casting choices for Lucy, Arthur and Linus if adapted as live action. 

4. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid


Taylor Jenkins Reid has an adaptation of her other novel Daisy Jones and the Six on the way. It's already got a (fantastic) cast and I am beyond excited for it, but I recently read another book by her that I equally loved and hope gets turned into a series. I only want this if it is allowed to be the soapy, extravagant Hollywood worthy adaptation that it screams to be. It would have to be on HBO or Netflix where they could give it plenty of time to dive into the story. It's got the old Hollywood glamour via flashbacks, and a more modern setting to frame the story. It boasts plenty of meaty roles that could garner some awards attention if done properly, and casting would be key (especially the role of Evelyn Hugo which would probably need to be played by two different actresses).

I kept picturing Montgomery Clift as one of the characters in this and would love for them to cast an actor who had those same qualities if this ever were to happen. 

5. Grown by Tiffany D Jackson


I can easily see this as a HBO series in the vein of something like The Night Of. It's darker themes, and central mystery would be best suited for this type of adaptation. It could use the central mystery to hook viewers while also diving into the topics of inappropriate, abusive relationships and abuse with the same voice it is done with in this book. Again, the casting possibilities are intriguing with the potential of a newcomer to play Enchanted, and an established, charismatic actor to play Korey (in a perfect world I would recommend Michael B Jordan).

There are also two books that are not released yet that I feel have potential to make this list:

1. Survive The Night by Riley Sager


This 90s set thriller deals with a woman who uses a ride share board at her school to find a ride back home for what I assume is the Thanksgiving holiday. The twist is that she may have just gotten into a car with a serial killer. I love the idea of not having a phone as a life line as a way to increase the tension and dread. Help isn't just within reach so it is going to make for some intense situations. I can see this being a great movie thriller in the vein of Gone Girl if the plot is as twisty as I hope it is going to be.

2. If This Gets Out by Cale Dietrich and Sophie Gonzales

I could see this being a fun young adult adaptation that would follow in the To All The Boys series footsteps. This revolves around two members of a very famous boy band who fall in love and all of the swoons and drama that ensues. I expect it will have the right combination of heart and angst for it to be a hit the same way movie adaptations like Love, Simon were.

Do you agree with any of my selections? What books have you read recently that you think should be adapted? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...