Tuesday, August 31, 2021

TIFF Virtually

 Autumn is approaching and with it all of the film festivals that spotlight the movies being released in time for Oscar season. There are plenty of movies featured that have some Oscar buzz going into the festival season. This includes TIFF and I am thrilled to be taking part virtually this year!


I have just secured tickets to some of the movies I wanted to see from the festival and I could not be more excited to see all of them. I was disappointed to discover that Last Night in Soho would not have a virtual option at all. It was my most anticipated, but I still managed to secure digital tickets to some amazing sounding movies.



Here are all the movies I'll be watching (and talking about on the blog) at TIFF. These are listed in the order in which I'll be watching them and they all link to the TIFF website page for the movie.


What Is It About:

Synopsis from TIFF.net

High school student Evan Hansen (Platt) suffers from social anxiety disorder. Under the advice of his therapist, Evan writes letters to himself with the goal of recognizing the good things in his life, such as his classmate Zoe (Kaitlyn Dever, TIFF ’18’s The Front Runner), on whom he has an enormous crush. But when a fateful encounter with Zoe’s brother Connor (Colton Ryan, also reprising his role from the stage production) puts Evan in an awkward position, that self-correspondence provides an irresistible opportunity for deception. Evan concocts a friendship that never existed, constructing a whole new life for himself — one that could come crashing down at any minute.

Why I Am Excited:

This musical has some great songs and I hear it works better seeing it performed rather than just hearing about the plot. There are definitely some problematic elements to the plot itself but I am interested in seeing how it all resonates. I am not necessarily expecting any Oscar buzz for this one (maybe original song if there is one created for the movie). Stephen Chbosky directed this and I loved what he did with Perks of Being A Wallflower so we'll see how this turns out.


What Is It About:

Synopsis from TIFF.net

Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst lead Jane Campion’s drama about two brothers whose lives change when a widow and her son arrive at their ranch

Why I Am Excited:

There have been rave review of Benedict Cumberbatch's performance in this from those who have already seen it. He is one of the actors being heavily talked about for Best Actor consideration. The trailer was just recently released and it teases a tense, well crafted movie. The rest of the cast is equally exciting with Jesse Plemmons, Kirsten Dunst, and Kodi Smit-McPhee also having awards buzz. It was my second most anticipated of the festival line up getting a ticket to this helps with the sting of missing out on Last Night in Soho.


What Is It About:

Synopsis from TIFF.net

The lives of three people converge in Wen Shipei’s thrilling debut: a young man who believes he’s killed someone, the dead man’s widow, and the policeman in charge of the investigation..

Why I Am Excited:

I had purchased a pass that entitled me to select 3 'regular' movies and this was one that caught my eye. It's described as a neo-noir movie and I figure it might be an interesting watch. I don't really know anything about the director (this is their directorial debut) or the cast, but the plot certainly sounds interesting. It's also a short and sweet 95 minutes which is appealing.


What Is It About:

A woman’s dreary life is forever changed after a risky sexual encounter in the latest from Harry Wootliff, starring Ruth Wilson and Tom Burke.

Why I Am Excited:

This is another of my three 'regular movie' selections. I chose it almost immediately because I am a fan of Tom Burke's after seeing him in a few things, and liked Ruth Wilson in The Affair. It sounds like this could be interesting and it is directed by a woman. 


What Is It About:

Jessica Chastain stars as flamboyant televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker in this humanizing portrait of the rise and fall of the Bakker network empire.

Why I Am Excited:

I think everyone was kind of blown away by Jessica Chastain's physical transformation when first look photos were released. The trailer only served to cement the idea that this will be in the running for any makeup/hairstyling awards. I also like Andrew Garfield and am excited to see him in this role. It's certain to be a film that starts conversations at any rate.


What Is It About:

Jake Gyllenhaal stars in Antoine Fuqua’s thriller set over the course of a single morning in a 911 dispatch centre.

Why I Am Excited:

It sounds like this is going to be a tense thriller that has the unique perspective of being set in one location. It sounds like it will mostly focus on Jake Gyllenhaal's 911 dispatcher and the emotions that he is experiencing. We'll mostly just hear the voices of the rest of the cast. The cast does also include Riley Keough whom I have loved in everything I have seen her in. 


What Is It About:

A hairdresser and her teenage daughter hunt a notorious killer in this erotic sci-fi acid western from cult iconoclast Bertrand Mandico.

Why I Am Excited:

This is another one of the three 'regular' movies my pass allowed me to access. I didn't know which one to select for my third and this one had an interesting premise that sounds like it could be fun. I don't know anything about anyone involved with the film, but I figure I have a solid batch of movies even if this one turns out to not be for me.

Are you going to be watching any movies at TIFF (either in person or virtually)? What movie from my list would you most want to see? Let me know in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...