Friday, March 25, 2022

A Glass Of Wine At The Movies - Oscar Predictions 2022

 

It is Oscar weekend and that means sharing my predictions for the big categories. 

Sadly the official Academy twitter account did not provide a fun little graphic like they have done previously, so I am just going to share each of the categories along with my picks.

First up:


Will Win: Coda or The Power of the Dog
Personal Preference: West Side Story

I only watched Coda recently, but definitely enjoyed it. It's a cute, heartwarming, feel good movie. It has had a surge recently and I think it is mostly likely our winner. The Power of the Dog could be the upset as it still has quite a bit of support and has held its place as a frontrunner almost all season.

My favourite of all the movies I watched was West Side Story though. I love so much about it and the cast is nearly perfection (minus an obvious exception). The cinematography and direction are both incredible.


Will Win: Jane Campion
Personal Preference: Steven Speilberg

Jane Campion has been cleaning up all season. I expect she'll win again here. She is the first women to be nominated for the directing Oscar twice and she would be only the third woman to win which is exciting. I can't even think who else might win here.

I loved so much about West Side Story and a lot of that is due to Steven Spielberg's directing. There are so many shots that are breathtaking and all of the elements came together for me.


Will Win: Jessica Chastain (possible Penelope Cruz upset)
Personal Preference: Jessica Chastain

This is one where my personal favourite matches who I think will win. Jessica Chastain gave an incredible performance in The Eyes of Tammy Faye and she would be worthy of the win here. I could also see Penelope Cruz winning but I give the edge to Jessica Chastain. 


Will Win: Will Smith
Personal Preference: Andrew Garfield

Will Smith is good in King Richard and I think he'll walk away with the award on Sunday. He isn't my favourite out of the nominees but I certainly won't be surprised or upset if he wins.

I personally loved Andrew Garfield in Tick, Tick, ..... BOOM! and wish he would be the winner. He captured the essence of Jonathan Larson. It's his performance out of all of them that has really stayed with me.


Will Win: Troy Kotsur or Kodi Smit-McPhee
Personal Preference: Kodi Smit-McPhee

I am torn on this category. Kodi Smit-McPhee has been cleaning up the awards all season but there has been a surge behind Troy Kotsur recently that is hard to ignore. I think this one is going to be close and I am giving the slight edge to Troy Kotsur at this point. If I had to pick between the two it would be Troy Kotsur. His performance in Coda is wonderful and I can see why he would win.

Kodi Smit-McPhee's performance in The Power of the Dog is my personal favourite though. The end of the movie rests on his shoulders and he pulls it off. It is the type of performance that makes you want to watch the movie again to catch the nuances.


Will Win: Ariana DeBose
Personal Preference: Ariana DeBose

This is one where my personal favorite also matches who I think will win. Ariana DeBose steals every scene she is in as Anita. It's an electric performance and I immediately told my friend after watching it that I would be mad if she and Mike Faist were not nominated in the supporting categories for the Oscars (sadly Mike Faist was not nominated).

Are you watching the Oscars this Sunday? What is your choice to win Best Picture? Let me know in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...