Thursday, February 9, 2012

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin


Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin
Release Date – June 1, 2004
Publisher Website – St Martin’s Press/Raincoast Books
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages - 322 pages
My Rating- 8/10
**Purchased**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
“Something Borrowed" tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiance. Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. "Something Borrowed" is a phenomenal debut novel that will have you laughing, crying, and calling your best friend.
Something Borrowed is one of those books that I read awhile ago, and recently fell in love with all over again while reading it again.

Emily Griffin manages to capture a sweet love story out of an action - cheating - that should feel you with loathing and dislike for Rachel and Dex. The thing is that you do have those feelings, however, you also feel sympathetic, understanding and actually root for them to be together. You can’t help but feel like if Dex and Rachel had not made assumptions and actually took the chance and spoke up it would have turned out differently for all involved.

The writing is prefect for this genre. A touch of humour, some interesting twists that take a simplistic plot and add something more to it. Emily Griffin’s talent is creating characters that you both love and hate equally and creating a situation that is horrible for all involved and making it neither black or white. She, basically, makes it real. All her characters are flawed and that is what makes them interesting.

Rachel, always the good girl, has never really said no to her best friend. She’s passive, doesn’t go for what she wants, and in the process ends up hurting herself to benefit others. Darcy is the type of person that is capable of going after what she wants, she assumes people will speak up for things they want, and often doesn’t take others feelings or wants into consideration. She’s bold, gutsy and vivacious. The are basically the last two people you would expect to be best friends. They are, and you can see that underneath there was a real, caring friendship there.

I enjoyed Ethan so much. Sweet, adorable, kind Ethan! I am sure many girls rooted for him to win Rachel’s heart, but I never felt that connection there for Rachel. I was happy to see more of him in the sequel Something Blue.

Friendship is looked it, and especially Rachel’s guilt over what her and Dex have done to Darcy. She realizes she is being a bad friend, and also realizes that maybe Darcy hasn’t always been a good friend to her. It made me think of how much you can go through with a friend and not want to lose that friendship no matter what.

This is one of those “chicklit” books that I’ve gotten really engrossed in, and couldn’t put down. It’s perfect for a night in with some wine.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy! Wonderful review :) I've heard amazing things about this book and, after reading your review, I'm pretty much sold. I'm going to have to grab a copy for myself - I saw one in a second hand book store for, like, 2 bucks ;D Why-oh-why didn't I buys it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to buy this book for so long. I haven't actually heard too much about it but I knew it sounded adorable! Your review makes me want to get it more now (it's so hard to find it in stores without the movie cover though... blah!) Wonderful review, I am definitely going to get this sooo soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! I loved Something Blue too!!!! It was wicked awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard good things about this book, but haven't read it yet. I really want to see the movie as well. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it, it definitely makes me want to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...