Monday, February 27, 2012

Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Release Date – January 3, 2012
Publisher Website –  HarperCollins
Publisher Social Media - Twitter/Facebook/SavvyReader
Pages - 374 pages
My Rating- 8/10
**Obtained from the library**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse. 
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive. 
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.
A million ways to die. One way to live.The tag line for Under The Never Sky lets you know exactly what you're in for. Veronica Rossi’s world is simply stunning. She’s created a place so full of danger, and yet has a kind of beauty to it as well. The sky itself, cannibals, warring tribes, and even the people in Reverie are just some of the ways you could die. While Rossi’s pace is a little slower, this enables her to really focus on the characters and build real bonds between them.

At first I thought Aria was going to be character I wouldn’t be able to like. I thought she was going to be weak, complain all the time, and be a little annoying. I have never been more happy to be wrong. She was tenacious, feisty, and determined. She was curious and once her mind was set on something she did it. I ended liking her a lot.

It was a similar story with Perry. I thought he would have been too rough, to closed off and was worried about connecting with him. He, while capable and rough, also has a more tender side. He is the type of person that would aide someone, no matter if he liked them or not. His family history, and the blame Perry puts on himself is heartbreaking.

The insight to both Aria and Perry really helped the story. I liked that we got parts of it from each of their point of views. I found myself laughing at some of the thoughts Perry had of Aria in the beginning.

The romance being built slowly, and being based on mutual trust and genuine feelings was a nice change of pace. You could follow the progression and it felt really natural.

The secondary characters of Roar and Cinder ended up being my favourites. Confident, self assured and loyal is what comes to mind when I think of Roar. His easy going manner and willingness to assist Perry won me over. Cinder is a young boy who is broken, disgusted with himself, and my heart went out to him. So young, and so troubled. These secondary characters really shine, and brighten any scene they are in.

Veronica’s dangerously beautiful world, a slow building relationship and characters that surprised me all make Under The Never Sky a fantastic read.

4 comments:

  1. I like when secondary characters seem to overpass the main characters. I love waiting for a secondary character to come in to make the scene just a little better. I've heard some differing opinions on this but I like that there is a slow building relationship throughout. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Kathy!! I am so, so happy you loved this since it was one of my favourite 2012 reads. The world is incredible and oh heavens, I absolutely adore Perry and Aria and the beautiful relationship that developed between them.

    ROOOOOAAAAARRRRR!! I loved him and Cinder just as much as I did Perry and Aria. Veronica excels at character development! <3

    Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Brodie - "ROOOOOAAAAARRRRR!!". I love how you say that. He really is awesome.

      Delete
  3. Oh! I loved this book! Aria and Perry were SO good together! This is another that I can't wait to get my hands on the next book!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...