Thursday, November 30, 2017

2018 Most Anticipated - I Stop Somewhere


The next book on my list deals with the incredibly timely topic of rape culture and violence against women. I have been hearing amazing things about this one and I am excited for it to start discussions and be read by book clubs so that conversations that are so necessary can be had.


The Goodreads synopsis for TE Carters I Stop Somewhere ensures that you know the serious topic this book will tackle, as well as offering up a sense of the tone the story is going to take.
Ellie Frias disappeared long before she vanished.

Tormented throughout middle school, Ellie begins her freshman year with a new look: she doesn't need to be popular; she just needs to blend in with the wallpaper.

But when the unthinkable happens, Ellie finds herself trapped after a brutal assault. She wasn't the first victim, and now she watches it happen again and again. She tries to hold on to her happier memories in order to get past the cold days, waiting for someone to find her.

The problem is, no one searches for a girl they never noticed in the first place.

TE Carter's stirring and visceral debut not only discusses and dismantles rape culture, but it also reminds us what it is to be human. 
This synopsis immediately grabs your attention. It grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go. You can sense the loneliness of the 'cold days' Ellie spends waiting for someone to find her. It paints a stark picture, but one that only highlights how important this novel is.

TE Carter was kind enough to answer some questions about the book. It's even more evident after reading this how this book is going to leave a lasting impact after you've read it.

1 Describe I Stop Somewhere in three words.

Rape culture exists

2 If someone were to make a signature ice cream in honour of your book, what might be included?

I'm not sure it would be very appropriate given the content of the book, but I'd say peppermint stick just because I like that!

3 Your novel tackles rape culture, and other heavy topics. What was one thing that surprised you during your research for this novel?

To be totally honest, I didn't do a great deal of research. Because so much of the book came from personal experience, I unfortunately already have some insight into the legal process and experiences featured in the book. I did do a little bit of research into state laws in New York, just to confirm a few things, and beyond that, I had to fill out some specifics related to the criminal justice system and mortgage industry. Otherwise, I guess the biggest surprise was simply that it was so common to hear stories like this that it inspired the book in the first place - because it just doesn't seem to change and that frustrates me. I'm not pretending I'm the only voice to tackle these issues or that I'm even the best advocate for them, but I did need to get this out there. It's just another perspective on something that's way too prevalent. Also, the number (and even existence) of zombie homes and the negligence and greed of the banking industry is disgusting. It's just unacceptable how corrupt some things are.

4 Name a song you listed to for inspiration while writing this novel (if you didn't listen to music let me know and I can quickly send another question)

"Obstacles" by Syd Matters (which is amazing!). It's from the game Life is Strange, which I was also playing while writing. Well, not while writing but while I was working on the book in the time I wasn't actually doing the writing!

5 If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel?

Probably Victorian London, because I adore London and I also have a real fascination with that era. It's both creepy and awful, and also full of so many interesting historical moments.

6 What 2018 release are you most anticipating?

Full disclosure, since she's my critique partner, but I already read ART OF ESCAPING by Erin Callahan and loved it!

7 If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of I Stop Somewhere

There are kind of two first lines, because there's a little part of the book before the actual chapters. The first line of that little bit is "They call the houses 'zombies,' and our town is full of them." The first line from Chapter 1 is "She came in here with her brand-new shoes."


I Stop Somewhere releases Feburary 27, 2018 but you can pre-order it right now from any retailer.

You can find out more about TE Carter by following her on Twitter, and by visiting her her website. You can also find out more about her books on the publisher website.

What do you think of books that tackle important topics like rape culture? Let me know in the comments.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to for a special guest post from Ashley at Harper Collins Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...