Monday, November 6, 2017

Roomies by Christina Lauren



Roomies by Christina Lauren
Release Date -  December 5, 2017
Publisher Website - Simon and Schuster
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages -  368 pages
My Rating - 5/5
**received for an honest review from publisher**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Marriages of convenience are so…inconvenient.

Rescued by Calvin McLoughlin from a would-be subway attacker, Holland Bakker pays the brilliant musician back by pulling some of her errand-girl strings and getting him an audition with a big-time musical director. When the tryout goes better than even Holland could have imagined, Calvin is set for a great entry into Broadway—until he admits his student visa has expired and he’s in the country illegally.

Holland impulsively offers to wed the Irishman to keep him in New York, her growing infatuation a secret only to him. As their relationship evolves from awkward roommates to besotted lovers, Calvin becomes the darling of Broadway. In the middle of the theatrics and the acting-not-acting, what will it take for Holland and Calvin to realise that they both stopped pretending a long time ago?
This book has all the buzz words that pique my interest. It's set in New York, has an Irish love interest, and features the fauxmance to realmance trope. Add in the Broadway elements, and I immediately wanted to read it. I went into this novel expecting to love it, and it surpassed those expectations.

Christina Lauren has quickly become the Queen of Romance Books for me. They're always fluffy reads that have just the perfect ratio of plot to steamy scenes. Roomies is no exception to this. It's pretty much written to leave you with a smile on your face. Fluffy novels are often sneered at by those outside the romance genre, but they are not as easy to write as they might appear. There is a skill to crafting them, and especially to doing them well and Christina Lauren hits all the right buttons.

Holland is one of my favourite Chrstina Lauren heroines. She's someone who doesn't have it all figured out. She's almost paused in her life in a way. A secondary character in her own story. This felt so related to me. I think a lot of readers will connect with her because they'll see shades of themselves or those they know in her. She's a character you root for because you want her to succeed and feel she deserves it.

Calvin is pretty much the most perfect book boyfriend. It is like he was written to appeal to my specifically. His sexy accent, incredible talent, and kind personality all make him the stuff of book boyfriend legend. I like that even though he's written as this 'god among men' character he still feels down to earth. He also doesn't make me bristle like a lot of romance novel love interests can. He is not an aggressive alpha male which made him all the more appealing.

The road blocks that this couple face are also very realistic. They are mostly based in lack of communication and deep rooted issues that each of them have to deal with. Holland, especially, has to work through her own existing issues before she can move forward, and I love that this was acknowledged. She couldn't be with someone else until she was happy with herself. This is something that I had not seen addressed in a novel before, and I loved that it was, especially in this way.

There is a side plot dealing with Holland and her relationship with her best friend. It was, at times, a toxic relationship. In relationships we often don't see them as being unhealthy and it can take seeing those relationships through someone else's perspective to see them clearly. This relationship, to me, was written especially well. It's another part of Holland's journey, and a necessary one at that. It fits into the theme of loving and respecting yourself first, and I am here for that message.

I highly recommend this one for those looking for a book that features a beyond swoon worthy love interest, and an entirely relatable heroine. Purchase this one as an early holiday gift to yourself and you'll thank me later. It's a perfect way to escape all the holiday stress and is basically made to be enjoyed with a bubble bath and your favourite beverage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...