Monday, November 25, 2019

2020 Most Anticipated - Seasons of the Storm



It is one again the most wonderful time of the year! It's time for me to kick off my annual most anticipated event. Each year I spotlight the books that I am eager to get my hands on in the upcoming year in hopes it'll put them on your radar as well.

This year I am starting with a book that has forbidden romance, the seasons as actual characters, and probably at a lot of action and angst.


Elle Cosimano's Seasons of the Storm promises all of this and more and it is wrapped up in a very pretty package. The cover is STUNNING.


The Goodreads synopsis for this novel makes it seem like it is going to be the best mix of fantasy elements and romance.
One cold, crisp night, Jack Sommers was faced with a choice—live forever according to the ancient, magical rules of Gaia, or die.

Jack chose to live, and in exchange, he became a Winter—an immortal physical embodiment of the season on Earth. Every year, he must hunt the Season who comes before him. Summer kills Spring. Autumn kills Summer. Winter kills Autumn. And Spring kills Winter.

Jack and Fleur, a Winter and a Spring, fall for each other against all odds. To be together, they’ll have to escape the cycle that’s been forcing them apart. But their creator won’t let them go without a fight.
This sounds amazing. It also has one of my favourite tropes, star-crossed lovers, going for it. I am curious to see what makes Jack have to make a life defining choice and am already eager to see how he and Fleur meet.

Elle has  very kindly, agreed to take part in my event this year! She's shared a few details about the book, and some of her inspirations while writing it.

1. What gif do you think describes Seasons of the Storm?



But seriously, I also have a really fun Pinterest inspiration board for the book here:

https://www.pinterest.com/ellecosimano/seasons-of-the-storm/

2. If someone were to make a signature ice cream in honour of your book, what might be included?

My Summer’s favorite: boardwalk soft serve with jimmies on a cone

3. The seasons obviously play a big role in this novel. What inspired you to create this mythology that revolved around the seasons and which season is your favourite?

A few years ago, I was challenged by a group of friends to write a flash fiction piece inspired by this gif.


A lot of people liked it, and I couldn’t stop thinking about the characters. I started messing around with a possible full length story idea, and it sort of took on a life of its own.

I love all four of my Seasons, but if I had to choose the one I felt most deeply connected to, it would probably be Jack Sommers (Winter). His magic was so much fun to write, maybe because I live in a tropical climate year-round and there are elements of winter I miss. Or maybe because I see so much of my own teen self in him.

4. Name a song you listed to for inspiration while writing this novel (if you didn't listen to music let me know and I can quickly send another question)

I listened to the same playlist almost exclusively for the two years I spent drafting and revising this book. It’s long and eclectic, the songs representing the different time periods my characters grew up in, and many of them reflecting the seasons and themes in the story. I had songs that put my in the headspace for specific scenes, and you can probably figure them out as you read. You can listen to the whole thing here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrrKj5l9Phj6zvluayey9dhF_YfgQ6oeU

But if I was going to pick one song that helped inspire the book, I’d have to go with The Chainsmokers & Coldplay, “Something Just Like This”.

5. If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel?

Time travel isn’t really an element in my story, so I haven’t really thought about it. But this book took me back to my own youth in the 80s, and it was so much fun to reconnect with the music and remember a time before internet and social media and cell phones, when the most fun you could have with your friends was taking off on an epic road trip, discovering yourselves and each other off the grid.

6. What 2020 release are you most anticipating?

SO. MANY! There’s been an embarrassment of riches in the YA fantasy market and I’ve been devouring so many amazing, captivating series. I’ve got alerts set for new releases from Holly Black, Sarah Maas, SabaaTahir, Renee Ahdieh, Leigh Bardugo, Taherah Mafi, and so many others. I love getting lost in their worlds.

7. If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Seasons Of The Storm

 There’s something inherently wrong with a home that’s easy to get into and hard to break out of.


The Pinterest board for this is so pretty! I recommend checking it out. You get a sense of some pretty epic battles, lots of swoon worthy romance, and some teases of what the 'seasons' powers might be/how they might manifest themselves.

Seasons of the Storm releases June 23, 2020 but you can pre-order it right now from any retailer (and use up some of those holiday gift cards).

You can find out more about Elle by following her on Twitter, and by visiting her her website. You can also find out more about her books on the publisher website.

Do you love fantasy novels as much as I do? What about forbidden romances? Let me know in the comments.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to for the next book on my 2020 most anticipated list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...