Thursday, May 6, 2021

Movies On My Radar For This Oscar Season


As each Oscars season ends I always get excited to look forward to the incredible movies we have to entertain us in the upcoming year. 

There are many journalists, podcasters, etc that offer up what is on their radar for the upcoming year and I thought it might be fun to do the same. These are not mypredictions, I won't go that far, but simply the movies I am anticipating and that I think have a strong chance of being in the conversation this year.

They are in no particular order (that would be impossible).

1. House of Gucci

Why It's On My List

There are a few reasons this one is on my list

  • It is based off a true story and those are always interesting.
  • The cast! Adam Driver and Lady Gaga are the two main stars and, if paparazzi photos are anything to go by, excitement is high to see these two share the screen together.
  • The director, Ridley Scott, is a favourite of many and has had awards attention before.
  • The clothes and sets are going to be incredible. This is high fashion and glamour. I expect the movie to look incredible.

This is one of my most anticipated movies which should surprise nobody who knows my interest in true crime.

2. In The Heights

Why It's On My List

Musicals are big this year with this, West Side Story, Dear Even Hanson, and Tick, Tick ... Boom all slated to release during this year. Lin Manuel Miranda has a few chances to snag the missing piece of his EGOT but I am most interested in this one from him. The trailer made it look incredible and I am excited for Anthony Ramos to get his time in the spotlight 

3. Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Film (working title - Soggy Bottom)

Why It's On My List

This 1970's set movie follows a successful child star and not much else is known about this upcoming movie directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Plenty of people are very excited about this one, and I am predicting that it'll definitely be in conversations this year. It doesn't have a super well known cast (Bradley Cooper has a small role) but something tells me this one is going to be pretty good.

4. The Power of the Dog

Why It's On My List

This is based off a well revered book (by Thomas Savage) and seems to offer roles that are worthy of showcasing an actor's skill. Combine that fact with a ridiculously talented cast (Benedict Cumberbatch, Jesse Plemmons, and Kirsten Dunst) and you have the makings of an awards contender. It revolves around a man who sets out to destroy his brother's new wife. I've seen the book compared to another book that was also adapted in to an Oscar nominated movie (the title of which I think could possibly spoil The Power of the Dog) so there is certainly precedent for it being nominated if worthy.

5. Don't Worry Darling

Why It's On My List

Almost nothing is known about Olivia Wilde's directorial follow up to Booksmart. It seems to be in the vein of a thriller/horror with the only description I can find being that it follows 'a 1950's housewife living with her husband in a utopian experimental community begins to worry that his glamorous company may be hiding disturbing secrets.' which is from its IMDB page. This could easily take the spot that typically goes to something like Promising Young Woman or Get Out. The movie also boasts a buzz worthy cast with Florence Pugh, Harry Styles, Chris Pine, and Gemma Chan starring.

6. Spencer

Why It's On My List

The big draw for this movie is Kristen Stewart portraying Princess Diana. It takes place during the time period where Diana decided to divorce Prince Charles which may provide some great material for Stewart. The first look photos generated quite a bit of interest and I am certainly interested in seeing what she does with the role.

7.  Blonde

Why It's On My List

When I first saw photos of Ana de Armas as Marilyn Monroe I was blown away. She is certainly well cast and with the help of makeup strikes a remarkable resemblance to Marilyn. This is based off the very well reviewed novel by Joyce Carol Oates and while it might end up being a little too artsy/experimental to gain any real traction during awards season the rumour is that Ana de Armas is incredible in it. I could easily see her getting a Best Actress nomination and I cannot wait to see what she does with the role. 

8. Nightmare Alley

Why It's On My List

A  Guillermo del Toro film is always going to spark awards chatter no matter what, but this one also has an excellent cast with Bradley Cooper, Toni Collette, and Cate Blanchett starring. This is also adapted from a novel (by William Lindsay Gresham), and is about 'an ambitious carny with a talent for manipulating people with a few well-chosen words hooks up with a female psychiatrist who is even more dangerous than he is' as per its IMDB description. I expect it to look incredible, and for the acting to be equally amazing.

9. My Policeman

Why It's On My List

This is currently filming so I am not one hundred percent certain it will release this year so it may end up not being eligible. It sounds like it has the potential to land some nominations if released though. It is, once again, based on a novel (by Bethan Roberts) so your movie loving book club will have plenty to read for next Oscar season. It examines a gay love story that must be kept secret due to the time period it takes place in. It's the second movie staring Harry Styles so it will instantly draw some attention, but also has Emma Corrin and Rupert Everett rounding out the cast. The comparisons to Call Me By Your Name are already being made but we'll have to see what it looks like once a trailer is released.

10. Zola

Why It's On My List

A movie that is entirely based on a Twitter thread that tells the story of a stripper's wild road trip to Florida with a woman she just met. Early viewers of this one have praised Colman Domingo in particular and have predicted him to be in the Best Supporting Actor conversation. The cast also includes Taylour Paige and Riley Keough and the trailer seems like a fun night out. It may even end up as a contender in Adapted Screenplay.

These are just some of  potential awards worthy movies we have coming our way in the next few months. I couldn't list all of them and I am sure there will be ones we're not even aware of yet that come to the forefront as festival season approaches in late summer/early fall. 

What movies are on your radar as potential Oscar contenders this year? What ones do you want to see from my list? Let me know in the comments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...