Monday, September 12, 2011

Fateful by Claudia Grey


Fateful by Claudia Grey
Release Date – September 13, 2011
Publisher – HarperCollins (HarperTeen)
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages - 356
My Rating- 8/10
*obtained from Book Expo America for an honest review*

Here is the Goodreads synopsis

It's about a servant girl named Tess in 1912, who wants to escape from the house where she works, and most particularly the lecherous young lord of the manor. But that's not her biggest problem. While on a voyage to America, where she plans to escape and start a new life, she meets Alec, who's ruggedly handsome, fabulously wealthy, intelligent and yet so clearly troubled that she'd rather not fall for him, but she does. That also is not her biggest problem. Alec, it turns out, is a werewolf ... one cursed to change every night, unless and until he surrenders his independence and joins the Brotherhood, a pack of violently misogynistic werewolves who have been tracking him for months. You'd think that would be their biggest problem, wouldn't you?

But no. Their biggest problem -- though they don't know it yet -- is that they're aboard the RMS Titanic

I am fascinated by the story of the Titanic and was very excited when I heard about this novel. I wasn’t really sure if this was going to work, or if it would be awkward. Luckily, it’s anything but awkward. It’s a interesting tale that drew me in right from the beginning.

This was my first novel by Claudia Grey, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Her writing style, at least for this novel, is perfect. She immediately makes you feel like you’re back in 1912. The language conjures up that time period effortlessly, while allowing current readers to enjoy it as well.

The amount of research that had to have be done to write this novel is astounding. The Titanic is fully described and detailed in the novel. I felt like I was on board the ship, and could easily picture the different decks, and areas on board. As you are reading, knowing the outcome of the Titanic, you can’t help but feel a sense of impending panic. You know what’s going to happen and as these characters are dealing with other, very intense (hello, werewolves) issues you dread what is coming.

The characters are well written, fully developed and interesting. Tess Davies is strong willed, intelligent, and sticks to what she believes in. She is also loyal, and very kind. Every time she did something that would anger her employers I had to cheer because she was doing what she wanted.

Alec is noble, a gentleman, and wants very badly to do the right thing. He does not wish to cause anyone harm. He is a good match for Tess, and you hope for a happy ending to their story.

The other characters are just as interesting. I loved to dislike Mikhail, and Lady Regina. Ned, George, Irene and Myriam were all great characters that you ended up caring about. It makes it jarring to realize that not all of them will make it off the Titanic at the end of our story.

The ending, when the Titanic starts to sink, is pulse pounding. I could almost feel what it would be like to be aboard during this horrific event. The panic, the confusion and terror that would have been experienced is something I can only imagine. Claudia manages to give a taste of what it might have been like.

This is a story that while intriguing for it’s paranormal aspects, could stand on it’s Titanic storyline alone, and is one I recommend to anyone interested in either. Don’t be surprised if you want to watch the movie once finished though.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you loved this! It's up next in my reading pile and I'm so, so excited. Possibly more so now, after reading your review :) I love anything to do with Titanic and the addition of werewolves on the ship, of all things, is SO intriguing. I'm just a little scared about growing to love these characters and then they don't make it off the ship! *bites nails* Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely made hubs go rent Titanic for me after I finished this!!! Win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read a lot of paranormal, but there are two things I like about this book.
    1. It is set in 1912.
    2. They're abroad Titanic

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...