Tuesday, February 9, 2021

#PopCultureResolution - My Bloody Valentine


My Bloody Valentine

Director: Patrick Lussier

Length:
 101 minutes

Cast: Jensen Ackles, Kerr Smith, Megan Boone

Release Date: January 16, 2009

Synopsis: Ten years ago, an inexperienced coal miner named Tom Hanniger (Jensen Ackles) caused an accident that killed five men and put a sixth, Harry Warden, into a coma. A year later, on Valentine's Day, Harry woke up and murdered 22 people with a pickaxe before dying. Now Tom has returned home, still haunted by the past. And something else is back in Harmony: a pickaxe-wielding killer in a miner's mask, who may be the ghost of Harry, come to claim Tom and his friends.

***********************************************
I added My Bloody Valentine to this year's #PopCultureResolution list because I wanted February's choice to be themed for Valentine's Day. The plot may not have much to do with the day of romance it did provide lots of nostalgia as it was very clearly a movie from the mid to late 2000s.


I knew Jensen Ackles was going to be in this one before starting it, but I very much appreciated that Kerr Smith was in it as well. Those who watched the CW television shows around this time will instantly feel a familiarity with this movie because it captures that tone immediately.

This was more bloody than last month's movie (Jennifer's Body) and it made good use of its small town setting. This was originally made to be shown in 3D, but mid 2000s 3D. This technology does not necessarily transfer well to a non 3D format and there were plenty of unintentionally funny and delightful moments. It has some really obvious moments where you know it was filmed specifically to have that 3D element.


This movie does create tension rather effectively as it ramps up to the ending. It makes two different people very convincing suspects and that fact creates some unsettling moments. I honestly went back and forth and who the murderer was until it was revealed. 


Now for the question I am ending all of these reviews with - was it scary? I am going to say no but it did make me tense for part of it which is just as important for a horror movie.

This would be a good selection if you are looking for silly fun from your horror movie. It's the kind you want to watch with friends, or in a theater, as I think it is suited to a group experience where you can laugh, cheer, and maybe even scream together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...