Saturday, April 28, 2012

Clues for Book 2 - Masque of the Red Death


We know that Bethany Griffin was inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's Masque of the Red Death. I thought it might be fun to use Poe's story to try and gain some insight into what we MIGHT be able to expect in the follow up to Masque of the Red Death.

Poe's tale takes place at a Masquerade that Prince Prospero is hosting. It's a means to escape the Red Death and only a select few are invited. I believe we can safely expect to have some sort of Masquerade in Bethany's novel as well.

The Masquerade takes place in a suite made up of 7 rooms. Each of these rooms is decorated in a specific colour. Even the windows are made of stained glass in the same colour of the decorations.

Room 1 - Blue
Room 2 - Purple
Room 3 - Green
Room 4 - Orange
Room 5 - White
Room 6 - Violet
Room 7 - Black

Room 7 is unique in that the windows are stained not black, but a deep red. Again, this is such a huge part of the original story that I believe we will see different coloured rooms. I am quite excited as I think Bethany will expand on the themes and go into more detail for each room. I am not 100 percent sold on her using the exact colours, but I would bet the last one is black. Will the colours themselves mean something? My hunch is that yes, Bethany will make the rooms even more significant in her story.

The overall theme of Poe's story is death. Trying to avoid, or hide from death and it coming for you anyway. Prince Prospero dies chasing a masked figure that resembles Death himself (someone with the plague that is destroying the city) through the different coloured rooms. If taken literally this seems to imply someone with the disease getting into the party. I could see Bethany going that route. It may even be one of our beloved characters that Price Prospero follows to his demise. The ending of the story is quite sad as every single person at the party  meets their end. I am hoping that Araby survives to have some kind of happiness, but a tragic end would be fitting to her story.

The clock striking down the hour plays a significant role in the story. It's so distinctive and distracting that the band and the guests stop when it chimes. It feels them with a sense of foreboding. Will Bethany incorporate a clock? Will she use a countdown of sorts to increase suspense by having the characters working within a set time before something happens? I look at the clock as a reminder that the party guests are getting ever closer to death, time does not stand still even if you wish it to.

While there is no mention of romance in Poe's tale, the triangle between Araby, Will and Elliott is sure to heat up. I am looking forward to seeing what developments take place on that front. I am hoping for some kissing scenes!

The main thing we can surmise from Poe's story is that a Masquerade will be involved, different coloured rooms seem to be a given, and death will come calling. Excuse me while I go pray for Will's safety! ;)

Have you read Edgar Allen Poe's Masque of the Red Death? If so what clues do you think are hidden within?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I can't wait to read Masque of the Red Death . . . big Poe fan here! *points at myself*

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...