Thursday, April 5, 2012

Until Next Time by Amy Lignor


Until Next Time by Amy Lignor
Release Date –  February 1, 2012
Publisher Website –  Tribute Books
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages -  255 pages
My Rating- 7/10
**obtained publisher for an honest review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
How does a girl choose between the one who steals her heart and the one who owns her soul? 
Matt and Emily were created for a specific job. Raised and trained as the ultimate angel/warrior team, they are sent down to save, defend, judge and forgive, depending on the 'life' they've been assigned. What they don't realize is that the power of human emotions, such as love, anger, passion and fear can take over even the best of souls, causing them to make mistakes and follow paths that lead to confusion and heartache.  
When the reason for their training is finally revealed, the angel/warrior team find themselves thrust into a world they know nothing about. Matt takes over the life of Daniel, a young man with a great deal of baggage. Emily becomes Liz, a girl living in a remote village who relies on nothing more than her own strength to survive. A violent storm erupts one night, and framed in the window of Liz's establishment is a frightening face. Let in by the soul of a Good Samaritan, the two visitors bring with them a past full of secrets that could literally change an angel's path and a warrior's plans. 
From murder to redemption, this angel/warrior team must find a way to keep the faith they have in each other in a world that's ripping them apart.
I went into this novel not really knowing what to expect. I had read a great review of it and decided it would be perfect for my angel event.

Amy Lignor has created something really unique and much different from other angel novels out there. Her writing style is intriguing and the novel is certainly wonderfully written. The mythology behind the story was captivating and mostly well thought out.

I have read quite a few angel novels at this point, and I expect most people are aware of the religious undertones they often carry. This novel was one of the more religious I’ve read. It is presented in such a way that I believe even non-religious readers won't be distracted by it.

In the first chapter of the novel we meet a visibly broken Emily.  Matt and  some of the Archangels are trying to convince her to continue her journey and why it’s important that she do. Her faith has been irrevocably shattered and she is convinced to recall the first assignment they had.

Emily and Matt are sent to earth to save, defend, judge and/or forgive depending on the purpose they are sent there for. They each are sent to earth in place of a human, but  are not given any memories of their angel life. They must not be tainted, act with their minds open and listen to their hearts. The memory glitch means Emily and Matt will not know each other down there.

The “triangle” aspect of the novel worked for me. I didn’t even feel it was a triangle. We are told that Matt and Emily are “soul mates” and are meant for each other. Emily, as Liz, does not recognize this and ends up opening her heart to a young man named Jason. I didn’t feel the connect with Matt and Emily. It felt like a sibling relationship rather than romantic. Jason and Liz (Emily) had chemistry and a spark.

The characters were all quite likable. It was easy to sympathize with Emily and how she was feeling. Jason, Charles are Faith are all great characters. Faith and Charles provided some humour throughout the novel. Faith was a fiery, driven young woman that knew what she wanted and a wonderful friend to Liz. Charles was presented as this cheeky, fun loving guy with a dark part. Jason was caring, patient, but haunted by his past.

The message that redemption and forgiveness is never out of the question, and that love is worth taking the risk for are ones that everyone can relate to. It’s a powerful message that certainly stays with you.
The only drawback, for me, was that certain things are left unexplained and while these things may be explored in subsequent novels, I wish I had known more. I enjoyed the set up for the second novel immensely. This is the story of Emily and Matt’s first “life on earth and the ending hints at a much more heart-wrenching second “life” that is the cause of the devastated Emily we meet in the beginning of the novel.

A wonderfully written novel that I wished at times would have dived a little more into the backstory. It left me curious, intrigued and willing to read it’s sequel. If you’re looking for something different in the angel genre, this certainly will provide that.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really well done. I like when books with religious aspects can still be read by non-religious people because it doesn't take over the book. This definitely sounds like an interesting book, and I absolutely adore the cover of it! Thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review has really made me want to read this novel. While I usually have issues with love triangles, I think this sounds well crafted and I am willing to read them if they are. I also like the sound of this novel, especially since it seems so different to all the other novels with angels in them, and I have heard a lot from this. Great review

    On a side note, I have to say that the cover is so hauntingly fabulous that I might have picked it up just because of that. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book, too, despite some questions I had (just like you) and a few frown-worthy moments (like training for many years just to have their memory wiped out before sending them on a mission). Overall this was an immensely compelling and wonderfully fresh angel book and I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed it, too! This was a fabulous review, Kathy! So much better than the one I wrote myself - you included some fabulous thoughts and remarks, and made it very detailed without giving away too much :) Love that!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...