Friday, December 11, 2015

2016 Most Anticipated - Traitor Angels



The next book on my list should come as no surprise. I loved this author's previous novels, and she nails her historical settings flawlessly! I cannot wait to see what she does with this setting, and the mystery that is set to unravel with it's pages.


This Goodreads synopsis is definitely intriguing. It's pretty much impossible not to immediately want to get your hands on this once you're read it.
Six years have passed since England’s King Charles II returned from exile to reclaim the throne, ushering in a new era of stability for his subjects.

Except for Elizabeth Milton. The daughter of notorious poet John Milton, Elizabeth has never known her place in this shifting world—except by her father’s side. By day she helps transcribe his latest masterpiece, the epic poem Paradise Lost, and by night she learns languages and sword fighting. Although she does not dare object, she suspects that he’s training her for a mission whose purpose she cannot fathom.

Until one night the reason becomes clear: the king’s man arrive at her family’s country home to arrest her father. Determined to save him, Elizabeth follows his one cryptic clue and journeys to Oxford, accompanied by her father’s mysterious young houseguest, Antonio Vivani, a darkly handsome Italian scientist who surprises her at every turn. Funny, brilliant, and passionate, Antonio seems just as determined to protect her father as she is—but can she trust him with her heart?

When the two discover that Milton has planted an explosive secret in the half-finished Paradise Lost—a secret the king and his aristocratic supporters are desperate to conceal—Elizabeth is faced with a devastating choice: cling to the shelter of her old life or risk cracking the code, unleashing a secret that could save her father…and tear apart the very fabric of society. 
How can you resist a delicious sounding mystery, a romance and explosive consequences? It's basically impossible. Add to this the meticulous research Anne does, and I am sure the novel is going to every bit as good as that synopsis makes it sound.

Anne graciously took the time to share a little more about her book, told us what drink will pair perfectly with it, and talked about writing novels with historical settings.

1 Twitter pitch Traitor Angels (140 characters or less).

YA romantic historical adventure with multiple puzzles and a scavenger hunt across Restoration Era England

2 If someone were to make a signature drink in honour of your book, what might be included?

Oooh, I love this! Something dark, mysterious, and sweet, like hot chocolate (which people in Restoration Era England really did drink, but only with water, not milk). Yum!

3 Let us in on one secret about one of your characters, or the world they inhabit.

Antonio Viviani, Elizabeth’s sexy and mysterious companion, has as secret about his childhood that he’s keeping from her. And before I give away too much, I’d better stop!

4 It sounds like this book required a lot of research (just like your previous two). What was the most surprising thing you learned while researching this novel?

John Milton’s epic poem Paradise Lost is about Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, but there’s one character in Milton’s masterpiece who shouldn't be there at all: Galileo. Milton never mentions him by name, but he alludes to him three times, calling him a “Tuscan artist.” I stumbled across this detail while studying Milton in a college class, and I couldn't stop wondering if Milton had included Galileo as some sort of secret message to his readers. My daydreams eventually grew into Traitor Angels.

5 What, for you, is the hardest part of writing a historical novel? 

Figuring out when to stop researching and start writing! Seriously, I'm a huge history nerd and I could research forever.

6 If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel?

My answer varies from week to week (see, I told you I'm a huge history nerd!) Right now I’d have to say ancient Egypt so I could meet Cleopatra. She’s evolved into such an icon, and I’d love to get to know the woman behind the legend.

7 What 2016 release are you most anticipating?

How can I pick only one?! There are so many great books coming out in 2016. I’m really looking forward to Blackhearts by my agency sister Nicole Castroman. It’s an origin story about the teenage boy who would grow up to be the pirate Blackbeard.

8 If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Traitor Angels.

“In this earthy life,” my father often said to me, “we move with real or willful blindness. But only one way leads to true darkness.”

Hot Chocolate is the obvious drink of choice while reading this now, and the amount of research done for this novel only inspires more confidence in how epic it's going to be. Oh, and  how amazing would seeing Cleopatra be?! (Oh, and Anne... please write a Cleopatra book! I need it.)

Traitor Angels releases May 3, 2016 and can be pre-ordered right now from any retailer.


You can also follow Anne on Twitter, visit her official website, and find out more about her books on the publisher website.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to find out the next book that made this year's list!

Historical set novels can transport you. Where in history would you like to travel? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...