Monday, December 14, 2015

2016 Most Anticipated - Never Ever



My love for Peter Pan is widely known. It's my go to Disney movie, and one of my favourite stories as a kid. Peter has long been a literary fascination and I am thrilled that there are so many amazing sounding retellings being released in 2016. This is the SECOND Peter Pan inspired novel to make my list.


This Goodreads synopsis has me VERY excited. It sounds exactly like the perfect Peter Pan retelling for me. A mix of a modern setting, magic, and romance.
Wylie Dalton didn't believe in fairy tales or love at first sight.

Then she met a real-life Peter Pan.

When Wylie encounters Phinn—confident, mature, and devastatingly handsome—at a party the night before her brother goes to juvie, she can’t believe how fast she falls for him. And that’s before he shows her how to fly.

Soon Wylie and her brothers find themselves whisked away to a mysterious tropical island off the coast of New York City where nobody ages beyond seventeen and life is a constant party. Wylie’s in heaven: now her brother won’t go to jail and she can escape her over-scheduled life with all its woes and responsibilities—permanently.

But the deeper Wylie falls for Phinn, the more she begins to discover has been kept from her and her brothers. Somebody on the island has been lying to her, but the truth can’t stay hidden forever. 
I am basically prepared to be obsessed with this once I get to read it. I am really excited to meet Phinn. I also love that the Wendy-ish character is called Wylie Dalton! Clever and cute!

Sara was kind enough to answer a few questions about her book, and hopefully this little interview gets you as excited for this title as I am!

1 Describe Never Ever in three words or less.

Magical. Romance. Paradise.

2 If someone were to make a signature drink in honour of your book, what might be included?

That's easy. Freshly squeezed sugar root and pineapple juice, with a splash of champagne. Ground woodmeg to line the glass and a garnish of parvaz flowers. You'll have to read the book to find out what a few of those things are...

3 Your book draws inspiration from Peter Pan. Is there something that particularly inspired you from the classic tale?

I've always loved the wish-fulfillment aspect of Peter Pan. Who wouldn't want to live on an island where you never grow up? But I was interested in aging up the story and exploring some of the same themes with teenagers. The relationship between Peter and Wendy has always been child-like and innocent and I was intrigued by the notion of making it a little edgier, true to life, and complex. Plus, most Peter Pan stories focus on Peter and his journey and I really wanted this book to be told from a young girl's perspective. This story is told from the point of view of Wylie Dalton who's a feistier and more sophisticated version of Wendy Darling.

4 Let us in on one secret about one of your characters.

Tinka, the character inspired by Tinker Bell, suffers from co-dependency and addiction. And she's not afraid to cut a bitch.

5 If possible, please share the first line of Never Ever

Wylie Dalton didn't know it yet, but in precisely two hours, sixteen minutes, and thirty-two seconds, her life would change forever.

6 What three things do you need while revising?

Music, Iced latte, inspirational cafe setting

7 What 2016 release are you most anticipating?

I can't wait to read Shuffle Repeat by Jen Klein. It's described as When Harry Met Sally for YA readers. It's about a guy (Oliver) and a girl (June) who probably wouldn't cross paths at their high school if Oliver didn't have to drive June to school every day. I have a feeling it's going to resurrect all of my nostalgia for high school romance and unrequited love. I'm a huge fan of Jen Klein's debut novel, so I'm really excited for this one.  Also, WHEN HARRY MET SALLY. That kind of says it all.

I may love Tinka already. She sounds amazing. I am just so excited to meet these characters and see what secrets lurk in this version of Neverland.

Never Ever releases June 21, 2016 and can be pre-ordered right now from any retailer.


To find out more about Sara or her books be sure to visit the publisher website.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to find out the next book that made this year's list!

Why do you think retellings are so popular? What do you think keeps people coming back to Peter Pan again and again? Let me know in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Omgoodness this sounds so good. i cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun interview! I'm super intrigued by the premise and can't wait to read Never Ever.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...