Wednesday, December 9, 2015

2016 Most Anticipated - As I Descended



I've always loved Shakespeare retellings. The most often adapted is, of course, Romeo and Juliet. I love Romeo and Juliet retellings, but I have been dying for someone to write a novel inspired by one of Shakespeare's other works. I've always loved Macbeth so this next novel immediately caught my attention.


The Goodreads synopsis for Robin Talley's newest will immediately make you want to read it. The twist on the Macbeth story and the promise of a female Macbeth ensure it's a can't miss.
Robin Talley's As I Descended, a retelling of Macbeth set at a contemporary Virginia boarding school. It centers around a lesbian couple who set out to dethrone the school's resident Mean Girl, only to find themselves struggling to hang onto their sanity and their lives when they accidentally summon a trio of brutal, manipulative ghosts. 
I cannot wait to see what Robin does with the incredibly promising premise. I also cannot wait to see the gorgeous cover that is revealed for this amazing sounding novel.

Robin was kind enough to share some details about the book, design an ice cream, and share why Macbeth was such an inspiration.

1 Describe As I Descended using only three words.

Rivalries. Hauntings. Secrets. 

2 If someone were to make a signature ice cream in honour of your book, what might be included?

Black licorice, raspberry puree, and lots of lemon.

3 Let us in on one secret about one of your characters, or the world they inhabit.

The boarding school the characters attend used to be a 17th century Virginia plantation house - and not all of its original inhabitants have left.

4 Your novel is inspired by Macbeth. What about the classic tale inspired you to write this particular story?

I've always loved Macbeth. It’s a fascinating character study. Plus, who doesn't get a thrill out of prophetic witches? When I first started thinking about how to translate the story to high school, I immediately pictured a scheming lesbian couple trying to unseat the most popular girl in school. Right away, I knew this was a book I had to write. 

5 If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel?

I’d want to travel 50 years in the future to my current city of Washington, D.C., to see how far society will have evolved on social justice and equality. 

6 What 2016 release are you most anticipating?

This is cheating because I've already read it, but Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin is an incredible story about a genderfluid teenager. 

7. If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of As I Descended.

“The Ouija board was Lily’s idea.”


As I Descended will release in Fall 2016. Pre-order links are not available, so be sure to add it to your Goodreads so you remember to snag a copy when it becomes available.

You can also follow Robin on Twitter, visit her official website, and find out more about her books on the publisher website.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to find out the next book that made this year's list!

Are you a fan of Shakespeare? What about retellings? Are you happy that we'll have something from Shakespeare other than Romeo and Juliet inspire a new novel? What about books that involved magic? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...