Wednesday, December 5, 2018

2019 Most Anticipated - The Kingdom



The next book in my 2019 Most Anticipated event is being teased as Westworld meets Serial (the podcast). I read this synopsis and this book immediately became my must read of 2019.


The description brings to mind a true crime inspired story set in a theme park where humans interact with life like artificial intelligence. It has all the makings of a book that will have everyone completely obsessed. 


The Goodreads synopsis for this novel only cemented my need to read this book. There is the potential for a lot of heartbreak as Ana is accused of killing the boy she loved. 
Welcome to the Kingdom… where ‘Happily Ever After’ isn’t just a promise, but a rule.

Glimmering like a jewel behind its gateway, The Kingdom™ is an immersive fantasy theme park where guests soar on virtual dragons, castles loom like giants, and bioengineered species—formerly extinct—roam free.

Ana is one of seven Fantasists, beautiful “princesses” engineered to make dreams come true. When she meets park employee Owen, Ana begins to experience emotions beyond her programming including, for the first time… love.

But the fairytale becomes a nightmare when Ana is accused of murdering Owen, igniting the trial of the century. Through courtroom testimony, interviews, and Ana’s memories of Owen, emerges a tale of love, lies, and cruelty—and what it truly means to be human.
I love the role reversal. It could have easily been gendered swapped with the artificial intelligence 'robot' being male. It would have fit most of the true crime stories out there where a woman gets murdered and it is the male in her life that is responsible. There could have been some great social commentary there. The decision to flip it makes it a much more interesting story in my opinion.

As part of offering up a variety of posts this year, I am going to share my personal top three reasons to be excited about this book!

1 Westworld meets Serial. Enough said. That premise alone should excite you.

2 The Kingdom as a setting has me really intrigued. The potential for world building and creating something really unique has me excited. Getting to play with what is real and what is part of the 'experience' could also make things really interesting and offer up a unreliable perspective. 

3 The part of me that loves mysteries cannot wait to unravel what really happened to Owen. The romance, for me, is going to be such a huge part of this story and its emotional impact so I hope that aspect is well done and that the mystery is satisfying because all of the other elements are there. 


The Kingdom releases May 28, 2019 but you can pre-order it right now from any retailer (or snag it with those holiday gift cards).

You can find out more about Jess by following her on Twitter, and by visiting her her website. You can also find out more about her books on the publisher website.

Does this not sound incredibly unique? Are you a fan of mysteries that also have another strong hook to them? Let me know what you think in the comments.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to for the next book on my 2019 most anticipated list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...