Tuesday, December 10, 2019

2020 Most Anticipated - Darling


The next book on my 2020 most anticipated list is inspired by one of my favourite Disney movies, and one of my favourite children's books. I am, of course, talking about Peter Pan.

Darling by K. Ancrum is all about embracing the darker parts of the Peter Pan story .. particularly when it comes to the boy who wouldn't grow up.


Anyone who has read the book (and not just seen the Disney movie) will know how dark the book actually is. I am curious to read an adaptation that uses that darkness, and sets the story in modern times.


There isn't an official synopsis for this one yet. The  Goodreads blurb currently describes it as the following:
A retelling of Peter Pan in modern day Chicago, in which Wendy Darling follows Peter and his Lost Boys through the city's nightlife and underbelly, only to discover that Peter isn't what he seems...and the Lost Boys are in more trouble than they realize.
I cannot wait for a full synopsis and cover to be revealed. I am also really excited about the Chicago setting. I think it is going to be a great backdrop for this story.

Kayla kindly answered some of my questions and definitely made the wait for this book even harder in the process.

1. What gif do you think best describes Darling?


Wendy Darling, specifically lmao. 


The Lost Boys: 



Tinkerbelle at Peter:


"Tiger Lily" at Peter


2. If someone were to make a signature drink in honour of your book, what might be included?

Something that starts out sweet but has a very sour syrup at the bottom. So you think you're drinking one thing, but slowly the drink gets more and more bitter until its completely intollerable.

3. This sounds like it'll be a darker (and more modern) take on the classic Peter Pan tale. What about it inspired Darling to be the novel it is?

I was head over heels in love with the idea of taking everything that already existed within the book and just giving it modern context.  The original book is dark enough, I didn't need to embellish it much.  Most of it is just direct equivalencies. Captain Hook = Police Inspector Hook, Tinker Bell  "a fairy who mended pots and kettles"  = Tinkerbelle a whiz at engineering who Wendy suggests take a few classes at the local college. Peter Pan, a serial killer who is literally described as murdering lost boys when they got too old and well = Peter pan a serial killer who murders lost boys when they get too old.

I reread the original book when I was in college and its such a different experience from the Disney movie. I couldn't believe how many small nuances of terror they glossed over regarding Peter's character. They kept most of the plot but completely reworked everyone's feelings about Peter: he was magical and cunning and beautiful but he was also terrifying and had little to no humanity left.  I think, honestly, that keeping it so close to a direct translation of the text actually makes DARLING scarier because I can say things like "the only part of the book that isn't a direct translation is the justice for his actions at the very end."

4. Name a song you listed to for inspiration while writing this novel

I was really into songs that sound happy but are actually sad or threatening. My favorite was Hot Chip's  "The Warning". I really love the indie-dance-pop vibe accompanied by threatening lyrics like:  "Hot Chip with break your legs, snap off your head, Hot Chip will put you down, under the ground" .  

When I was writing some of the more romantic scenes I would listen to a lot of 6lack because its such an urban vibe during all the romantic scenes. Just really cool "one-night-only-romance" feelings to all of them, not mushy at all.

5. If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel?

The future! or the moon during the space-race. Im a bit obsessed with space and love looking forward instead of back.

6. What 2020 release are you most anticipating?

CEMETARY BOYS i am O B S E S S E D with ghosts romances so Im head over heels for the concept of this. Also Aiden Thomas is such a darling, one of the coolest guys. Definitely follow him on twitter:  https://twitter.com/aidenschmaiden

7. If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Darling:

The first line of DARLING is: “I said no.” but the first piece of text in the book is actually a quote from the original 1904 book and it is:

The boys on the island vary, of course, in numbers, according to as they get killed and so on;
 and when they seem to be growing up, which is against the rules, Peter thins them out


Darling does not have an official release date but it will be sometime in fall of 2020.  Preorder links are not available just yet, but I urge you to add it to your Goodreads to be read list so that you'll be updated when those become available.

You can find out more about Kayla by following her on Twitter or by visiting her website. You can also find out more about her books on the publisher website

Do you enjoy different/unique twists on beloved stories? Let me know in the comments.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to for the next book on my 2020 most anticipated list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...