Thursday, December 12, 2019

2020 Most Anticipated - Something To Talk About


The next book on my 2020 most anticipated list is one that seems poised to give romance readers something to talk about, and get a certain song stuck in their head.


Rumours start to fly when a moment between two women on a red carpet gets taken out of context. Rumours that kick off the slowest of slow burn romances.

I am excited to include Something To Talk About by Meryl Wilsner in this year's most anticipated event.


The Goodreads synopsis pretty much ensures that romance readers will be desperate to read it.
A showrunner and her assistant give the world something to talk about when they accidentally fuel a ridiculous rumor in this debut romance.

Hollywood powerhouse Jo is photographed making her assistant Emma laugh on the red carpet, and just like that, the tabloids declare them a couple. The so-called scandal couldn't come at a worse time—threatening Emma's promotion and Jo's new movie.

As the gossip spreads, it starts to affect all areas of their lives. Paparazzi are following them outside the office, coworkers are treating them differently, and a “source” is feeding information to the media. But their only comment is “no comment”.

With the launch of Jo’s film project fast approaching, the two women begin to spend even more time together, getting along famously. Emma seems to have a sixth sense for knowing what Jo needs. And Jo, known for being aloof and outwardly cold, opens up to Emma in a way neither of them expects. They begin to realize the rumor might not be so off base after all…but is acting on the spark between them worth fanning the gossip flames? 
Emma and Jo's story sounds swoon worthy and I am already eager to fan cast the movie I hope gets made for Netflix.

Meryl graciously took some time to answer my questions about the book and made me want to blast a little Bonnie Raitt and get my hands on this book immediately.

1. What gif do you think describes Something To Talk About?

I actually just joined some other 2020 debuts in describing our books with multiple gifs. You can find the post here. If I had to pick only one, it’d be this one:


2. If someone were to make a signature drink in honour of your book, what might be included?

A signature drink for Something to Talk About would have to be sweet (but not sickly sweet). It would have more alcohol in it than you could taste, so the effect would sneak up on the drinker—just like feelings sneak up on Jo and Emma! 

3. What is your favourite rom-com trope? 

In case you missed it with the gif to describe Something to Talk About, I’m a sucker for a slow burn.

4. I cannot be the only one who immediately starts signing Bonnie Raitt's song when I see the title of your book. Name a song you listed to for inspiration while writing this novel.

I definitely did listen to the Bonnie Raitt song while writing. But I think my top artist for this book was Hayley Kiyoko. I kept trying to pick what song of hers I’d want in a movie version of my book, and I think I eventually settled on Cliff’s Edge.

5. If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel?

I really like the idea of being able to see the world when people had less of an effect on it. I don’t even care about any particular place or landscape, just lots of unspoiled wilderness.

6. What 2020 release are you most anticipating?

I always say The Roommate by Rosie Danan, because I’m lucky enough to have already read it, so I know exactly how good it is. But as for books I haven’t read, I’m really looking forward to Who I Was With Her by Nita Tyndall.

7. If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Something To Talk About. 

I know there’s a big emphasis on great first sentences, but for me, first pages as a whole are such an experience. When you’re first being exposed to the world and characters—I love that too much to just share the first sentence!


I now want to read that first page even more than I did before. I am already thinking of a wine to pair with this when I get to read it.

Something To Talk About releases May 26, 2020 but you can pre-order it right now from any retailer so that it arrives in time for summer reading.

You can find out more about Meryl by following them on Twitter and visiting their website. You can also find out more about Something To Talk About on the publisher website

Do you love romance novels as much as I do? How do you feel about books with really catchy titles that get a song stuck in your head? Let me know in the comments.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow for the last post in this year's event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...