Friday, December 6, 2019

2020 Most Anticipated - Marisol from Harper Collins Canada

Today I have Marisol from Harper Collins Canada stopping by to take part in my 2019 Most Anticipated Event. Marisol shares the books coming from Harper Collins next year that she thinks should be on your radar! There are some incredible titles on this list so be prepared to add a bunch to your own 'to be read' lists. A huge thank you to Marisol for taking the time to write this post. You can talk about all of these books with the Harper Collins Canada team on Twitter at @hccfrenzy!


Loveboat, Taipei by Abigail Hing Wen – January 7, 2020
Who doesn’t love books that take us to new places? Loveboat, Taipei follows Chinese-American girl Ever Wong who is sent from Ohio to Taiwan to learn Mandarin for the summer. Expecting a strict, educational program, Ever is pleasantly surprised when she finds Loveboat in its place: an unchaperoned free-for-all where the fun (and romance) never stops. A charming #ownvoices novel that’s Sarah Dessen meets Crazy Rich Asians, this book is incredibly honest in its portrayal of family, friends, and teenage rebellion – and I am HERE FOR IT!

Infinity Son by Adam Silvera – January 14, 2020
I absolutely adored They Both Die at the End, so I was super excited when I found out that Adam had a new novel coming! This one is a gritty, fast-paced fantasy (yes, Adam is writing fantasy now and it’s amazing!) about a magical turf war generations in the making. I love that Adam is committed to writing LatinX and queer characters, and I cannot wait to see how he integrates them in what is sure to be one of this year’s biggest books!

Not So Pure and Simple by Lamar Giles – January 21, 2020
No one is pure, and life is definitely not simple! I love this book for the questions it raises about masculinity, and what it means to be a “real” man. Incredibly nuanced in the way it approaches teen relationships, the diversity of this book made me an instant fan, but it was the story itself that won me over completely!

Almost American Girl by Robin Ha – January 28, 2020
Anyone who says they don’t like graphic novels NEEDS TO READ THIS BOOK! In this graphic memoir, Robin Ha revisits what it was like moving from Seoul to Alabama as a teen. Unable to speak English and suffering from extreme culture shock, Robin struggled to fit in. Heartbreaking and honest, the story is made all the more poignant by Robin’s stunning illustrations and speaks to art’s capacity for bridging cultural divides – and even saving lives.

Yes No Maybe So by Becky Albertalli and Aisha Saeed – February 4, 2020
Both Becky Albertalli and Aisha Saeed?! Sign me UP! I love the premise of this novel: two teens become unexpectedly involved in their town’s politics, only to become entangled in the cross-cultural romance of the century. This definitely sounds like something that would happen to me. I can’t wait to get my hands on this romcom!

Red Hood by Elana K. Arnold – February 25, 2020
A darkly feminist retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, I am OBSESSED with this book and can’t wait for it to hit shelves. I love adaptations of fairy tales and folklore, and this one really brings the drama. If you loved Elana’s last book, Damsel, do not miss Red Hood!

The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel – February 26, 2020
The cover alone on this is so stunning I had to pick it up! Taking place in New York, British Columbia, and at sea, this beautifully written novel is about money, ghosts, morality, and a Ponzi scheme. The interweaving storylines and alternating points of view bring readers on a journey that haunts long after the book is finished. Add this one to your TBR immediately!

The Fire Never Goes Out by Novelle Stevenson – March 3, 2020
I’m a huge fan of both memoirs and comics, so this one is right up my alley! The Fire Never Goes Out is an illustrated memoir by the creator of Nimona and Lumberjanes that spans eight years of Noelle’s life, following her creative journey, coming out, and mental health struggles. Witty and full of wisdom, I literally have a space saved on my shelf for the finished book. I can’t wait to see Noelle’s incredible illustrations on paper!

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell – March 10, 2020
I was instantly hooked on this one! Exploring the psychological trauma of a relationship between a teenage girl and her magnetic and manipulative teacher, this  is propulsive, explosive, and thought-provoking, particularly in the age of #MeToo. Lots to dig into with a book club!

Imagine Me by Tahereh Mafi – March 31, 2020
If you haven’t gotten into the Shatter Me series yet, there’s still time before the final installment, Imagine Me, hits shelves this March! I love a good dystopian, and Imagine Me is no exception! Following Juliette Ferrars (now Ella) who is fueled by rage, justice, and love, the final book in the series may just bring down the Reestablishment – permanently!

Rules for Being a Girl by Candace Bushnell and Katie Cotugno – April 7, 2020
Smart and funny and heart wrenching, this novel has everything I want! Following one girl’s crusade to expose sexism at her school after a run-in with a predatory teacher, this #MeToo story is incredibly timely and manages to explore its more serious topics with grace, humour, and a healthy dose of feminism. The perfect book for starting an important discussion, Rules for Being a Girl is SO good – a must-read for today’s young women!

Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo – May 5, 2020
The moment I found out Elizabeth Acevedo had a new book coming out, it was on my TBR! This is such a beautiful and bittersweet novel, it completely blew me away and I can’t wait for more people to pick it up! Clap When You Land follows two sisters, one in New York and the other, in the Dominican Republic, who must deal with the devastating loss of their father in a plane crash. But there’s an unexpected twist: neither of them knew the other one existed.

The Betrothed by Kiera Cass – May 5, 2020
Royalty, castles, and a mysterious stranger? Count me in! If the incredible cover for this book hasn’t already drawn you in, the world of courtly romance and intrigue that Hollis Brite inhabits definitely will! But with so much at stake and her marriage to the king on the line, Hollis begins to wonder, is there more to life outside the palace walls?

Parachutes by Kelly Yang – May 26, 2020
There is so much to love about this book, including that it gave me major Gossip Girl vibes! The title refers to parachute kids: wealthy Asian teenagers, whose parents send them to study in the US and stay with typical American families. Although Claire and her American host sister Dani feel like they couldn’t be more different, they come to discover they have more in common than anyone would’ve guessed. Touching on serious issues ranging from racism and assault to love and family, this book packs a punch!

Stay Gold by Tobly McSmith – May 26, 2020
This book is so incredible and I’m positive there’s nothing else out there like it! Written by a transgender author, this teen love story follows a transgender boy and cisgender girl and draws from the author’s own personal experiences. While there are more and more books featuring transgender characters, very few are actually written by transgender authors. Tobly’s characters feel wholly authentic, and it is literally impossible not to fall in love with them!

A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown – June 2, 2020
Calling all fans of Children of Blood and Bone! Fantasies inspired by different cultures are among my absolute favourites, and A Song of Wraith and Ruin is no exception! This is an immersive fantasy based on West African folklore. If you love highly developed worlds and mythology, you NEED to add this book to your TBR! 

You Say it First by Katie Cotugno – June 16, 2020
Who knew I was such a romantic? You Say It First is about two teens from different sides of the political spectrum who fall in love after a voter registration call turns into a long-distance romance. I can’t wait for more people to read this book! It’s so cute, and the relationship between the characters feels so real. Although they come from completely different backgrounds, the candid conversations between them really highlight how sometimes all it takes is one special person to change us forever.

Faith: Taking Flight by Julie Murphy – July 7, 2020
Julie Murphy is back with the first in a two-book series that tells the origin story of Faith, the first plus-sized superhero! I am so excited to see a book like this on the market. It has all Julie’s hallmarks (body positivity, complex relationships, a queer love story) and a TON of fast-paced, awesome action. I fell in love with this one the moment I saw the cover!

The Woman Before Wallis by Bryn Turnbull – July 21, 2020
If you’re a fan of Netflix’s The Crown, this book is definitely for you! By now, chances are you’re familiar with Wallis Simpson, Prince Edward’s love interest and arguably one of the most notorious women in Britain’s history. This book goes back even further in their story and introduces the first American woman Edward loved: Thelma Furness, sister to the first Gloria Vanderbilt. Steeped in royalty, riches, and drama, this book totally raises the bar for historical fiction and definitely helped me get over my post-Crown malaise!

What books from this list are you most excited to read next year? Let me know in the comments.

Come back next week for more books on my 2020 most anticipated list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...