Monday, December 6, 2021

2022 Most Anticipated - Love in the Time of Serial Killers

The next book on my 2022 most anticipated list blends my love of romance with true crime. A woman who is obsessed with true crime thinks her neighbour might be either a serial killer or a genuinely nice guy. Sounds both like a fun comedy and a look at modern dating though the lens of everyone watching all these true crime documentaries that Netflix keeps releasing.


My next book's title is Love in the Time of Serial Killers by Alicia Thompson. It basically sounds like it was written specifically for me and I cannot wait to get my hands on it.


The Goodreads synopsis gives you a very good idea of what it is going to be about and what the book might be like.
Turns out that reading nothing but true crime isn't exactly conducive to modern dating-and one woman is going to have to learn how to give love a chance when she's used to suspecting the worst. PhD candidate Phoebe Walsh has always been obsessed with true crime. She's even analyzing the genre in her dissertation-if she can manage to finish writing it. It's hard to find the time while she spends the summer in Florida, cleaning out her childhood home, dealing with her obnoxiously good-natured younger brother, and grappling with the complicated feelings of mourning a father she hadn't had a relationship with for years. It doesn't help that she's low-key convinced her new neighbor, Sam Dennings, is a serial killer (he may dress business casual by day, but at night he's clearly up to something). But it's not long before Phoebe realizes that Sam might be something much scarier-a genuinely nice guy who can pierce through her armor to her vulnerable heart underneath
I am very excited to see the cover of this one! I hope it captures both the romance elements and the fact that the main character is obsessed with true crime. 

Alicia kindly took some time to answer a few questions for me about the book and what she is excited about reading in 2022. 

t gif do you feel best represents Love in the Time of Serial Killers?


2 If someone were to make a signature drink in honour of your book, what might be included?

Full disclosure that a literal infant knows as much about making cocktails as I do, but since Phoebe makes a Nutella no-bake pie in the book, I'm going to go with a Nutella mudslide because it sounds pretty tasty. 

3 This seems to blend my love of romance novels with my fascination with true crime. What are some of your favourite true crime podcasts (if you listen to them)? 

I actually don't listen to as many as you might think, given the title of this book! But I did really enjoy the In the Dark series about the Curtis Flowers case. Really in-depth and well-reported and showed the injustice that was done there. My favorite podcast of all time is You're Wrong About, which covers some true crime, among other cultural topics we got "wrong" the first time around. The Kitty Genovese episode is one of the best examples of podcasting out there, in my book. 

4 What is one song that made your playlist while writing this book? 

Hayley Williams helpfully put out a solo album just for me right before I wrote this, and three songs -- "Creepin'," "Sudden Desire," and "Pure Love" -- could basically be the three-act structure for Love in the Time of Serial Killers. 

5 What 2022 release are you most anticipating? 

So many. So, so many! But right now in this exact temporal moment I'm going to go with The Hacienda by Isabel CaƱas. Mexican Gothic meets Rebecca? THAT COVER? Sign me up! 

6 If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Love in the Time of Serial Killers?

"Obviously a two-hundred pound Victorian writing desk wasn't made to be moved all by yourself."


Love in the Time of Serial Killers releases August 1, 2022. It's a perfect date for a beach read and I expect this will be in a lot of beach tote bags this summer.

You can find out more about Alicia and her books by following her on Twitter.  You can also visit her publisher website.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to for the next book on my 2022 most anticipated list. Are you also obsessed with true crime? Do you love reading romance books? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...