Monday, April 15, 2013

Game by Barry Lyga



Game by Barry Lyga
Release Date – April 16, 2013
Publisher Website - Little Brown
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages -  528 pages
My Rating- 4.5/5
**obtained for review from publisher**

**SPOILERS FOR I HUNT KILLERS (Book 1)**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Billy grinned. “Oh, New York,” he whispered. “We’re gonna have so much fun.”

I Hunt Killers introduced the world to Jazz, the son of history’s most infamous serial killer, Billy Dent.

In an effort to prove murder didn’t run in the family, Jazz teamed with the police in the small town of Lobo’s Nod to solve a deadly case. And now, when a determined New York City detective comes knocking on Jazz’s door asking for help, he can’t say no. The Hat-Dog Killer has the Big Apple–and its police force–running scared. So Jazz and his girlfriend, Connie, hop on a plane to the big city and get swept up in a killer’s murderous game.
Everything I loved about I Hunt Killers is back in Game. The spine tingling shivers, chills, and suspense. An intense and wild game leaves Jazz chasing a killer through the busy streets of New York City. The stakes are higher, and this time, Jazz and the police, don’t know the rules.

Nature versus nature. Jazz has both working against him. His struggle to prove, not just himself but to everyone, that he is nothing like his father carries over from the first novel. I stand by my previous statement - Jazz is charming, but he also manages to send shivers down my spine. Billy’s influence can not be denied, but how deep it runs is something Jazz has yet to determine. I love the entire concept of upbringing AND genetics factoring into who you become. The novel gives us an insight into someone who has been severely traumatized, and is struggling with the aftermath.

Howie, Jazz’s best friend, provides the comic relief that is definitely needed. I had such a soft spot for him, even in the first book. He’s such an amazingly loyal friend to Jazz. A true friend. A friend that accepts Jazz for who he is, flaws and all. Howie’s fragility made me worry about him more than any other character. It’s rather poetic that Barry Lyga decided to make Jazz’s best friend so vulnerable with the amount of death that surrounds him.

Connie officially become one of my favourite female characters in this novel. She’s confident without being conceited  determined, and fierce. A true match for someone like Jazz. She’s not afraid to stand up to him, and for him. She takes center stage in a way I was not expecting, and I found myself surprised at how much I enjoyed her.

Jazz dreams shift in this novel. Gone are the flashes of a knife carving flesh. Instead Jazz’s dreams are of touching skin, and rapid breaths. His fear that sex could be his trigger, and his initial attraction to Connie plague him throughout this entire novel. Part of me wondered if Jazz was molested as a child and we might be seeing flashbacks, another part of me thought perhaps it’s just his teenage boy hormones kicking into overdrive. It will be fascinating to see where this leads, and if the two dreams are at all connected.

The clever unraveling of the plot, and the reveal of what twisted game this novel gets it’s title from is a thrilling ride. Twists are plentiful and things we thought were true may turn out to be much different under the harsh light of day. It all comes to back to nature versus nature, and some revelations may not have the impact you’d hope.

The word cliff-hanger is thrown around a lot, especially with young adult novels. This ending, I feel, may be one of the cruelest (and heart stopping) endings in a novel. You’re left gasping and scrambling for the next page only to realize that there aren't anymore. It’s going to be a long wait to find out the consequences of the events in this installment. I am just happy that there will be more Jazz in the future.

A taunt, scary thrill ride that left me with shivers. Jazz is a chillingly disarming narrator whose easy smile masks a conflicted interior. I can not wait to curl up with the next installment and allow Barry Lyga to prevent me getting any sleep - both from staying up late to finish reading, and being haunted by it’s pages long after.

1 comment:

  1. I loved I HUNT KILLERS, I only read it a few weeks ago but it was so thrilling and Lyga has such an interesting way of writing. I loved getting into Jazz's mind and from there the mind of a killer. I'm so excited for more of these characters, especially Connie, she was a great character in the first book and I'm so stoked to see her more fleshed out in this book! I'm happy to hear that Lyga keeps the thrills coming in this sequel.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...