Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Black City by Elizabeth Richards


Black City by Elizabeth Richards
Release Date – November 13, 2012
Publisher Website –  Razorbill/Penguin
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages - 384 pages
My Rating- 4/5
**Provided by publisher for an honest review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong. 
When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.
A futuristic world where vampires (called Darklings) are segregated from the human population, Black City is a lushly romantic, vividly captivating and intense read.

The descriptions in the novel read like a movie. Every character, and every detail is described vividly. The writing is it's strongest in it’s descriptions. The novel itself is well plotted, and the pacing will keep you turning the pages. It was, for me, a rather quick read as I was invested right from the beginning.

The novel hinges on the set up of segregation. The political propaganda, demonstrations, and corrupt government officials kept the tension taunt and the action coming. It’s not hard to see the similarities to any group that has ever been discriminated against, and it was all too easily imagined. The public crucifixions were especially uncomfortable.  Purian Rose and the Sentry are chilling, and calculating.

The vampires in this novel come with a serious bite.There is a seductive, sexual quality to everything they do. Add in the fact that their venom provides an exhilarating high and it’s easy to see how one would be tempted. Sexuality and vampires are so intricately linked that it’s hard to make it feel fresh. Elizabeth Richards manages to do that, and make it insanely sexy.

Ash is half darkling, and half human. Belonging to neither group weighs heavily on Ash, and he is achingly lonely. His bad boy persona (complete with selling himself as a drug) mixed with his desire to belong made him quite swoon worthy. He cares passionately and deeply about those in his life, and packs a delicious bite.

Natalie, a government officials daughter, and I got off to a rough start. High maintenance and snobby were words that first came to mind. She quickly won me over. She proves herself to be brave, selfless, and fiercely protective over her sister. She shows that she is not as easily manipulated as others would like.

Day, a classmate who becomes Natalie’s best friend, was awesome. The friendship that blossoms between these two was one of my favourite parts of the story. I also enjoyed the friendship between Ash and Beetle.

The romance in the novel may come off as rushed, but the explanation behind this felt logical within the story. The hint of a potential love triangle grabbed my interest because it’s such a unique situation.  The parties involved, and how it comes to fruition were well plotted and the result of a few surprising twists.

A sensual, intense, and engrossing read that will leave you in a haze. Phoenix can not get here quickly enough as the ending leaves you eagerly awaiting the second installment to Ash and Natalie’s love story.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about Natalie in the beginning, I think it was when Day came into the picture that I started liking Natalie myself. This was definitely an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a book on my radar for a while. I cannot wait to check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love some good, detailed, vivid descriptions, not long and boring but captivating and intense, and this sounds like it won't disappoint me in that department. I've read some great things about Black City, especially recently with the release just yesterday and I look forward to reading it. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did! Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...