Thursday, May 31, 2012

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer


Storm by Brigid Kemmerer
Release Date –  April 24, 2012
Publisher Website –  Kensington
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -  353 pages
My Rating- 4/5
**purchased**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Earth, Fire, Air, Water – they have more power than you dream. 
Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys—all the ones she doesn't want. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water—just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death. 
And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca. 
Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all. 
The storm is coming . .
After hearing Brodie from Eleusinian Mysteries rave about this book I knew I had to read it. It promised great characters, action, and the intriguing Merrick brothers. I am happy to say it delivered.

What I love most about Brigid Kemmerer’s writing was the characters. She created these complex, realistic characters that she layers by using the story. She doesn’t tell us their characteristics, she uses the plot and actions to SHOW us. The mythology of the elements and the feeling of being connected to that element is well described and developed.

Reading a book from a guy’s point of view written by female author is sometimes a hit and sometimes it’s a miss. I felt Brigid did a fantastic job of presenting her male characters, and giving them a believable voice. 

Becca is someone that will appeal to most readers. She has had a rough school year after some rumours get spread about her and the soccer team. She carries around a lot of guilt and grief over decisions and choices she made, and you can not help by sympathize with her. I loved that she wanted to learn self defence, and was capable, but it was within reason. She felt just like the girl next door, which really worked for this story.

Chris is the misunderstood, quiet guy that Becca saves. He really keeps people at arms length for their own protection, but also because he seems happier that way. While the death of his parents has impacted him I didn't find him as bitter as some of his other brothers. He also wasn't one to last out, or make jokes like the twins. I just found him to be a little hesitant, lost, but wanting to connect.

The romance, while not overpowering, is quite sweet. I loved the push/pull between Becca and Chris. Whenever I think of Chris and Becca I think of the line “Almonds, Vanilla, Torture”. This line for me sums up how Chris feels whenever Becca is close. He’s hyper aware of her, and it’s torture because he doesn’t trust himself not to lose control around her.

Gabriel is as volatile as the element he controls. His actions and words are filled with fire, anger, and passion. He was easily the Merrick I could see going out of control. His complex feelings towards Michael showed how much everything has really impacted this boy and his whole family. While Gabriel and his twin Nick look the same, they are as different from each other as can be Nick is much more level headed and focused. Both twins seem like a lot of fun, and charming though.

Michael is a bit of a jerk. It’s warranted however. I felt so bad for this young man who suddenly finds himself the head of the household and raising three younger brothers. His own guilt serves as barrier between him and his brothers who are harbouring their own resentment and confusion. My heart broke when the consequences to the events in Elemental are revealed. It explains so much about Michael that I urge everyone to start with that novella.

The relationship between the brothers is really what shines in the novel. It’s complex, feels real and will pull at your heart. So much as gone wrong for these guys, you just want something to go right for them.  Their powers are unpredictable, and the urge to loose control is always there, but each of them fight it. You want to scream at them to talk, work it out and just admit they love each other. Sigh...boys!

Four hot brothers, intense action, a few surprises and a fun mythology made me fall in love with Storm. The storm may have passed, but it’s far from over for the Merrick brothers and Becca. I can’t wait to see what happens next.

4 comments:

  1. Four hot brothers?? SOLD! lol!

    This is the first I've heard of this book, but it does sound interesting! I've really enjoyed most of the books that I have read that are from a guys POV. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KATHY!!! I LOVE YOUR REVIEW! There are some I've read that really capture every element (hehe)of the story that I loved so much, those are the ones that make me want to run to my bookshelf and reread. Yours is one of those.

    She doesn’t tell us their characteristics, she uses the plot and actions to SHOW us. - YES. Sometimes authors tell us things, but the characters never really back up these claims. But like you said, Brigid SHOWS it and that's what makes the character shine.

    He’s hyper aware of her, and it’s torture because he doesn’t trust himself not to lose control around her. Aw gosh, Chris! </3 And what you say about Michael.... oh hell, Kathy. Toes twitching. Legs trembling. Ready. To. Run. To. Bookshelf.

    BRILLIANT REVIEW! I am so, so, so happy you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when an author knows how to show their readers something instead of tell them. I am finding that it is few and far between lately. Amazing review... and the four hot brothers, who can say no?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read and reviewed this and the short prequel back in April and I absolutely loved it for all the same reasons you did and also because the book takes place in my state, one county over, so I knew all the places that were mentioned and that made it even more special to me.

    Your review is so detailed and thorough. I love it!

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...