Saturday, May 12, 2012

Weekly Obsessions!

The awesome Kelly at KellyVision started posting a weekly post highlighting whatever she happened to be obsessed with that week. I LOVE this idea, so much in fact that I will be doing it myself every Saturday.

Here are my obsessions this week:

BOOKS

There are so many amazing books that have been announced in book deals recently. I don't have pretty covers to show this time, but I do have lots of awesome sounding future releases to share.

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

This sounds AMAZING! Slated for a 2013 release, Bloomsbury has purchased the publishing rights. The writer? She's 20 YEARS OLD! I am in awe. Oh and this is the first in a SEVEN book series. Here is the synopsis on Goodreads
The Bone Season begins in 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. She works as an envoy between secret cells: she drops in an out of people's minds. For Paige is a lucid dreamer, a clairvoyant, and in her world, the world of Scion, she commits high treason simply by breathing. It is raining the day her life changes forever. Attacked, kidnapped and transported to Oxford, a city that has been kept secret for two hundred years, she meets Warden, a Rephaite with dark honey skin and heavy-lidded yellow eyes. He is the single most beautiful and frightening thing she has every laid eyes on – and he will become her "keeper".
Warden already sounds yummy and I love that the character is almost 20. A little older is nice. I want more fun, twisty, intense novels that feature 25-30 year olds.

Vicious by Victoria Schwab

The author of The Near Witch has some amazing sound novels coming out. The Archived sounds awesome. It's her other novel that has me pining though. Here is the Goodreads synopsis

About two best friends whose college experiments to create supernatural abilities wind up turning them against each other.
Amazing right? A 2013 release by Tor books. This is being called a more adult read, and the characters are college aged. I am dying to find out more about these "supernatural abilities" that they are trying to create.

Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker

Twin Peaks meets The Village? YES PLEASE! Harper Collins has this awesome sounding novel scheduled for a 2014 release. Check out the Goodreads synopsis

Natalie Parker's BEWARE THE WILD, pitched as Twin Peaks meets The Village, in which a claustrophobic Louisiana town is dominated by its sinister, encroaching swamp, which swallows up a boy who is instantly forgotten by everyone except his sister, and replaced by a mysterious girl from the past who is intent on taking over his family and his life.
I enjoyed Twin Peaks. It's weird, a lot quirky and it had a pretty great mystery surrounding it. The synopsis has me pining and Harper really does have awesome titles.

City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster

Once again Harper strikes with an amazing sound title coming out in 2013. The City of Thousand Dolls sounds creepy,and awesome. Here is the Goodreads synopsis

Nisha Arvi is a casteless orphan in an empire where caste and tradition are as unchanging as the roof of gray sky above her head. The only exception is the City of a Thousand Dolls, an estate where abandoned girls are trained to be anything from assassins to courtesans to nobleman’s wives.

Nisha is not so lucky. When she finds out that the City Council want to sell her as a slave, and also that they are hiding a series of mysterious deaths among the girls, Nisha makes a desperate bargain. If she can find the killer, she’ll have a chance at a caste and a future.

But it won't be easy, because in the City of a Thousand Dolls missteps are as easy as wearing the wrong robe. And when Nisha suspects an old friend of the murders, she puts both of their futures in jeopardy.
I love the mystery surrounding the storyline and the creepy feel of the estate itself. I think this one is going to be fantastic!

TV

Vampire Diaries season finale

Elena chose a Salvatore, some people left Mystic Falls, and lots of awesome, insane and crazy twists happened. The Vampire Diaries knows how to do a season finale (and season premiere). I was on the edge right until the jaw-dropping ending that will have a serious impact on all our beloved characters next fall. If you are not watching this show I just planned your summer for you. You can thank me later.

OTHER

Teen Author Carnival

Teen Author Carnival is a huge event that happens in New York around the same time as Book Expo America. It gives the chance to meet some of your favourite teen authors. This year Michelle Hodkin will be there so I am so freaking excited. I am going to bring my hardcover of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer for her to sign. Lots of other fantastic authors will be there and I am excited to chat with so many of them. If you want to learn more check out the Teen Author Carnival website.

So what you are obsessed with this week?

2 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with vampire diaries too! GREAT show - better then the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE BONE SEASON!! The Aussie publisher sent out a media release for that the other week and I was SUPER excited. It sounds so freaking good and I've been itching for another long series after Harry Potter and Vampire Academy. And damn, SO impressive given her age!!

    Oh man. And the rest of these future releases sound AMAZING. I've been slow on news lately, but I know I can always rely on you to keep me updated with your Weekly Obsessions :D

    Gah, that TVD finale was amazing. Really hit the right emotions and I just love how they played out the last ten or so minutes in particular. I SO need to try convince you to watch Nikita, which has it's finale airing next week. I am a crazy huge fangirl!!

    Oh my gosh. You get to meet Michelle Hodkin!! SQUEE! KATHY! BEA and TAC? Man, 2012 is an INCREDIBLE bookish year for you!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...