Saturday, May 19, 2012

Weekly Obsessions

The awesome Kelly at KellyVision started posting a weekly post highlighting whatever she happened to be obsessed with that week. I LOVE this idea, so much in fact that I will be doing it myself every Saturday.

Here are my obsessions this week:

BOOKS

More book deals have been announced and there are two I am excited to check out.

The Uninvited by Sophie Jordan

Here is where I admit I haven't read Sophie's over novels. They didn't really grab my attention even though I had read great reviews for them. This one however sounds amazing. Check out the Goodreads synopsis
The first in a two-book series pitched as The Scarlet Letter meets Minority Report; in which a teen's perfect world unravels when mandatory genetic profiling reveals she's a carrier for HTS (Homicidal Tendency Syndrome), otherwise known as the "kill gene" and she's forced to question herself, her world, and her love.
Seriously? The Scarlet Letter meets Minority Report? AWESOME. What happens to the people who are found to have HTS? Are they sent somewhere? Is the system corrupt? So many questions that come from this  brief synopsis. Looking forward to this one being released in 2013 by Harperteen.

All The Rage by Courtney Summers

I read the synopsis for this and immediately started to fangirl. This sounds amazing. Check out the Goodreads synopsis
A 17-year-old girl’s attempt to blackmail her rich classmates results in her waking up on a dirt road with no money, no memory of how she got there and a semi-erased message she left for herself the only clue as to why. When she tries to piece together the evening before and all the events leading up to it, a dark and sinister game is revealed. Likened to Brick and Veronica Mars.
This sounds amazing. A little Veronica Mars is never a bad thing, and I am intrigued to find out why she is blackmailing her classmates and how she ended up on a dirt road. St Martin Press is publishing this one in 2013 and I am so anxious to get my hands on it.

Does anyone else think 2013 is looking to be the BEST year in books? So many amazing, and UNIQUE sounding titles.

Some other titles I have come across recently that are releasing soon (THIS FALL!) and I think sound amazing.

The Dead Girls Detective Agency by Suzy Cox


The Goodreads synopsis of this sounds cute, and like it might have an interesting mystery at the heart of it
When Charlotte comes to after being pushed onto the subway tracks, she is informed by a group of teenage girls that she is dead…they all are. Meet the Dead Girls Detective Agency. With the support of these dynamic girls—including fashionable Lorna, who can’t wait to find out if the devil actually wears Prada, and nerdy Nancy, who insists on staying in limbo to help out other girls—Charlotte follows leads and tracks down clues to solve her own murder. With plenty of juicy mysteries and some pretty cute guys, readers are sure to fall in love with this fun and suspenseful page-turner!
Investigating her own murder? Creepy but awesome. I hope this is as cute, and suspenseful as I am thinking it's going to be. This comes out September 18 from HarperTeen

34 Pieces of You by Carmen Rodrigues 


The Goodreads synopsis for this one sounds a lot like Thirteen Reasons Why.
There was something about Ellie... Something dangerous. Charismatic. Broken. Jake looked out for her. Sarah followed her lead. And Jess kept her distance, and kept watch.
Now Ellie’s dead, and Jake, Sarah, and Jess are left to pick up the pieces. All they have are 34 clues she left behind. 34 strips of paper hidden in a box beneath her bed. 34 secrets of a brief and painful life.
Jake, Sarah, and Jess all feel responsible for what happened to Ellie, and all three have secrets of their own. As they begin to confront the darkest truths about themselves, they will also find out what Ellie herself had been hiding all along....
Sounds like it could be really emotional, and intense and really good. I enjoyed Thirteen Reasons Why and felt like that book should be mandatory reading in highschools. Hopefully this one is just as poignant. This comes out September 4 from Simon Pulse.

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence


A little Romeo and Juliet happening in the Goodreads synopsis.
For fans of Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided. A political rebellion ignited. A love that was meant to last forever. 
Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.
So obviously there will be a love triangle, and I am curious as to why Aria has holes in her memory. I love the cover of it too, so pretty. Random House is publishing this one October 9, 2012.

TV

Once Upon A Time season finale

Crazy twists? Check. Romantic reunions? Check. Beloved (by me anyways) character seemingly dies? Check. Insane cliffhanger that will leave you gasping until the fall? CHECK. We left Storybrooke with "something bad" coming (Got to love Henry) and we are in for a intriguing second season.

OTHER

Book Expo America

TWO WEEKS!! Yes, this Sunday is the two week mark before I leave to go to NYC. My excitement level is pretty unmanageable right now and I am having fangirl freak outs on a daily basis.  Kirkus reviews released their BEA Guide. It offers their picks for what to get and the titles in there all sound amazing. I am looking forward to surrounding myself with bookish people and can't wait to share everything in blog posts when I get back.

Disney World

As some of you know I have three young nieces. They are going to be visiting Disney World for the first time this December. Yesterday, I purchased my flight to go with them! I am so looking forward to their little faces when they meet their favourite characters. I predict freak outs over Cinderella and Belle. I already can't wait to explore the most magical place on earth with my sister's family.

So what you are obsessed with this week?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post. I pretty much want to read every book you just mentioned. Especially Mystic City. I haven't seen Once Upon a Time in a while, though I did really like what I saw. I need to catch up on that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Firelight by Sophie Jordan (need to get onto the rest in the series), but I loved it! I was stupidly all, "MEHHHH. Dragons." beforehand until she made me realise they could be SO FREAKING COOL. To the point where I wanted *more* of the dragon mythology haha. Anyway, her new book sounds AWESOME. Kill gene? I'm so there! And hell, All the Rage had me at Veronica Mars! <3

    I am so with you on 2013. Provided we survive 2012, we're in for one amazing year of reading. Also SOOO interested in Mystic City! I love that cover.

    AHHH ONCE UPON A TIME. Couldn't they at least give us a preview of season two?! Oh. Right. They have to film it first *grumble* Season 2 has the potential to be insanely awesome, cannot WAIT to see what they do with it.

    Hehe! Imagine what you'll be like the night before BEA... try to get some sleep if possible, don't want you falling asleep while carrying a heavy load of books. People will go rabid and descend on you :P

    And aww! Disney World! Seriously, is your 2012 rocking with awesome travel or what?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...